66°

UMB Lacrosse Records First Win of Season

The UMass Boston men’s lacrosse team registered its first victory of the season Saturday March 29 12-3 against Norwich University. The win improves the Beacons’ record to 1-3 for the season.

The victory came at a good time for UMB. After being overwhelmed by Babson College, the Beacons played a more complete game against Curry College, a team that had lost 12 straight matches to UMB. In fact, the Beacons were poised for the win, but the Colonels scored with 33 seconds left in regulation play, and then won the game in the second overtime session.

To date, depth has been the biggest problem for the Beacons. Several players are playing out of position in an attempt to offset the lack of numbers. The hope is that as the season progresses, the players will become more comfortable in their new positions.

However, the Beacons are getting some good performances from some veterans. Attacker Joshus Stolp is again among the conference leaders in goals, while Mike Forns continues to find open teammates. Freshman Ryan O’Rourke was named Little East Conference Rookie of the Week for the week of March 24-30 after a outstanding performance against Norwich (school record nine assists, 11 points total).

UMB will travel to Little East Conference powerhouse Eastern Connecticut State on Saturday April 5.