66°

GSA News – 4/2/3

Graduate Academic Conference

The Fourth Annual Graduate Academic Conference is geared towards making easier the lives of graduate students in pursuit of higher education. A number of professional seminars will be held throughout the day. These seminars include:*Secrets of Survival at UMB Informational Sharing*Effective PowerPoint presentations*Research Tools*Grant Proposal Development and Funding Sources*Resume Building, Job Searching & Interviewing SkillsSeminars will be running throughout the day on April 11, 2003. For a detailed schedule of events, please check the GSA web site at http://www.gsa.umb.edu. The GSA also invites all graduate students to attend the “Graduate Academic Luncheon” at 12pm as well as the “Academic Research Poster Reception” at 3:30pm. Please RSVP by emailing the Graduate Student Assembly by April 7 at [email protected]. Grant Deadlines

The Spayne Master’s Thesis/Project Grant and the Bollinger Doctoral Thesis Grant deadlines are fast approaching. Please make sure the applications are completed and returned to the GSA office by April 24, 2003.

Funding

The GSA is proud to support The UMass Boston Human Rights Working Group by donating $3000.00 towards their conference titled “War on Terrorism or Assault on Human Rights? Civil Liberties, Homeland Security, and Democracy in the Post 9/11 World.” The conference will be May 3, 2003 from 9am-6:30pm. The conference will cover the following themes: immigration laws and racial Profiling, the FBI and government surveillance, preventive detention, material witnesses and enemy combatants, and political action.