66°

Road Victory for Men’s B-Ball

On the one hand, you want to congratulate them for coming up with a road win over a Little East Conference opponent. On the other hand, you want to yell out in frustration for having surrendered a 19 point second half lead.

Sophomore Billy Allen led the way with a double-double of 23 points and 13 rebounds as the men’s basketball team survived a furious rally by the Warriors of Eastern Connecticut State College and escape with a 64-62 win. The Beacons move within one game of .500 at 10-11 and their conference record improves to 4-6.

The team needed this game badly as it was in the midst of a season high four-game losing streak. But what looked like an easy win was anything but. Luckily for the Beacons, they got the buckets when they needed to down the stretch.

The Beacons did display dominance in several areas of the game, most notably on the offensive boards (27 total). It was a definite necessity for this game as the team had one of its most horrendous overall shooting performances, hitting only 19 of 69 shots for a shooting percentage of 27.5.

Eric Summerville popped in 13 points, and Roderic Joseph and Yassin Osman had eight rebounds apiece. Jeroy Smith led the Warriors with 19 points.

UMB will have played against the Corsairs of UMass Dartmouthby the time this issue hits the stands. In January, the Beacons beat the team from their sister campus 88-86 in overtime. The team next plays on Saturday February 15 against Plymouth State College, who beat UMB earlier in a squeaker, 82-81.