66°

Women’s Volleyball End Disappointing Campaign

The University of Massachusetts volleyball team finished up the last week of the 2003 season with one win and one loss, beating Massachusetts Maritime Academy 3-1 (30-23, 20-30, 30-25, 30-21) at home while falling to Wentworth Institute of Technology 3-1 (30-13, 30-18, 27-30, 28-30) on the road.

The young Beacon squad finished the season with a 3-22 record. The team’s inexperience and youth made it difficult to compete with seasoned veteran teams.

The Beacons defeated Mass. Maritime on the strength of Stephanie Adams, Kassandra Rateau, and Katharina Schnur (eight kills each). Setter Camila Ribeiro led UMB with 23 assists.

The match against Wentworth did not have the same results. The two teams split a home and home series in 2002, with the home team winning the game. In the season finale of 2003, however, it was Wentworth all the way. Caroline Drosdick led the way with 14 kills, while teammate Sharon Menard collected 21 assists. The Beacons played much better in the third and fourth sets, but it was not enough to overcome Wentworth.

The team looks to have a promising core of players back for the 2004 season. Sophomore Adams is one of the Little East Conference’s best servers and rookie junior Schnur is a versatile player who should make the LEC’s all-rookie team. Retention and depth are the perennial problems that all UMB teams face, and Coach Ken Goon will have his work cut out for him.

The Little East Conference Championship Tournament began on Wednesday, November 5, and it will continue on the campus of the highest remaining seed on Saturday and Sunday, November 8-9. The Colonials of Western Connecticut State will be looking to defend their LEC crown.