66°

Calendar

Thursday, October 9

Blue Balloon Brown Bag Lunch Group 12:30 – 1:30 p.m., McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Cafeteria. UMB faculty who are using Prometheus to enhance their face-to-face class, teaching a class online or just interested in learning more about Prometheus are invited to attend this meeting. This will be a regular informal forum to share techniques and experiences using Prometheus, UMass Boston’s learning management system and is open to all full time, part-time, or adjunct faculty members. Bring your lunch and look for the blue balloon! For more information, call Eileen McMahon at 617-287-3998.

Beacons Athletics: Women’s Soccer vs Lesley College, 3:30-5:30pm

Christian Worship and Fellowship, 4pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. For more information, call Rev. Adrienne Berry-Burton at 617-287-5838.

Intramural Aqua Aerobics for Faculty and Staff 5:30-6:30pm. For details, drop by the Intramural Office. For more information, call Rick Sledzik at 617-287-7830.

Friday, October 10

Biology Seminar 2:30-3:30pm, Science Center, 1st Floor, Room 006. Dr. Angelika Amon from MIT/Howard Hughes Medical Institute presenting Control of Chromosome Segregation in Yeast. For more information, call Diana Ruddy at 617-287-6600.

Saturday, October 11

Beacons Athletics: Men’s Soccer vs University of Southern Maine, 1-3pm

Beacons Athletics: Women’s Tennis vs Rhode Island College, 1-4pm

Monday, October 13

Columbus Day University closed.

Tuesday, October 14

Inquiry for Adult Baptism and Confirmation 11:30am, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Interested in exploring becoming a member of the Catholic faith? Questions about what it is to be a Catholic? This time is set aside for anyone who has questions about where their faith is taking them and how they might proceed to own it in a more personal way. Held every Tuesday. Additional appointment times also available – please contact us. For more information, call Maggie Cahill at 617-287-5839.

Communion Service followed by Interfaith Bible Discussion 4:30-6pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join Catholic Chaplain Maggie Cahill for Liturgy of the Word and the sharing of communion, followed by an interfaith Bible discussion at 5:15.

Interfaith Scripture Study and Reflection 5:15-6:30pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join with your Interfaith Catholic Chaplain, Maggie Cahill to explore inspired writings. Works to be explored will include the Word of the Old and New Testament. Special requests are welcome.

Wednesday, October 15

2003 Open House Volunteers Needed The Office of Undergraduate Admissions is looking for student volunteers to act as ushers, tour guides and greeters for our annual Open House on Saturday, October 25, 2003. This is a recruitment opportunity to showcase the university to prospective applicants. Hope you can join us! For more information, call 617-287-6126 or email [email protected].

Celebration of Emerging Leaders Luncheon 11:30am-1:30pm, Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston. College of Management’s Center for Collaborative Leadership celebrates the latest cohort of its Emerging Leders Program. Former Massachusetts governor and presidential candidate Michael Dukakis will speak on leadership. Reservations and tickets required. For more information, call Jan Raymondi at 617-287-73890.

Catholic Campus Ministry Mass 12:30pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join Father Larry for this weekly celebration. For more information, call 617-287-5839.

Beacons Athletics: Men’s Soccer vs Framingham State College, 3:30-5:30pm

Thursday, October 16

Interfaith Bible Study and Fellowship 11:30am-12:30pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join with Rev. Adrienne to study and discuss the Word of God. For more information, call Rev. Adrienne Berry-Burton at 617-287-5838.

Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Art Exhibit Reception Noon-2pm, McCormack Hall, 1st Floor, Harbor Gallery. Join us for this very special reception with artist and UMB alumnus Kathleen Bitetti. Her art project “Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?” will be on display in the Harbor Art Gallery during the month of October as part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. To read about Kathleen and this very important project please visit

Christian Worship and Fellowhsip 4pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. For more information, call Rev. Adrienne Berry-Burton at 617-287-5838.

The Real Inspector Hound Theatre Production 8pm, McCormack Hall, 2nd Floor, 008, McCormack Theatre. The play, The Murders at Muldoon Manor, is the setting for the entrance and discovery of The Real Inspector Hound-a play that blurs the distinction between art and life, player and audience member, in a surprising turn of events. For more information, call John Conlon at 617-287-5642.

Friday, October 17

Biology Seminar 2:30-3:30pm, Science Center, 1st Floor, Room 006. Dr. Dan McCollum from the UMass Medical School will present, “Role of the Cdc14-like Phosphatase Clp1p in Coordinating Chromosome Segregation and Cytokinesis.” For more information, call Diana Ruddy at 617-287-6600 or email [email protected].

UmassBoston Agape Christian Fellowship (IVCF) Introductory Meeting 5:45-7pm, Wheatley Hall, 4th Floor, Student Lounge. Student Organization Meeting – Free KFC dinner will be served! For more information, call Student Life at 617-287-7950.

Saturday, October 18

New Majority Conference: Working Conference to Forge a Common Agenda Among Boston’s Communities of Color 9am-3:30 p.m., Science Center, 1st Floor, Lipke Auditorium. Convened by the Asian American, Mauricio Gaston, and Trotter Institutes of UMass-Boston and led by a steering committee comprised of leaders and activists from Boston’s communities of color.

Beacons Athletics: Women’s Soccer vs UMass Dartmouth, 1-3pm

Monday, October 20

Interfaith Bible Study and Fellowship 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join with Rev. Adrienne to study the Word of God. For more information, call Rev. Adrienne Berry Burton at 617-287-5838 or email [email protected].

Tuesday, October 21

Promise and Paradox at a Latino Commutniy High School 1-2:30pm, Healey Library, 11th Floor, Library Staff Lounge. Featuring speaker Tony De Jesus from the Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College (CUNY), who will talk about his evaluation project, conducted as a Doctoral student at Harvard University School of Education, on the experience of El Puente Academy for Peace and Justice in Brooklyn. In the process of engaging Latino and African American students, El Puente found itself encoutering the challenges of gentrification, standardization and the usual issues of bureaucratic tensions. For more information, call Paloma Britt at 617-287-5791.

Beacons Athletics: Women’s Soccer vs Emerson College 3:30-5:30pm. For more information, call David Marsters at 617-287-7802.

CM Senior Executive Forum 6-7:30pm, Quinn Administration, 3rd Floor, Chancellor’s Conference Room. Featuring speaker Barbara Berke, Director of the Massachustts Department of Economic Development, Commerce and Labor. For more information, call Mary Ann Machanic at 617-287-7734.