66°

Calendar – 10/2/03

Thursday, October 2

UMass President Search Open Forum 8:30-10am, Quinn Administration, 3rd Floor, Chancellor’s Conference Room. The purpose of the forum is to provide all members of the campus community an opportunity to learn more about the search process and to express their thoughts on the preferred attributes of the next president. Open Forums will be held on each of the five campuses. Hosted by the Board of Trustees and the President Search Committee. For more information, call 617-287-5300.

Interfaith Bible Study and Fellowship 11:30am-12:30pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join with Rev. Adrienne to study and discuss the Word of God. For more information, call Rev. Adrienne Berry-Burton at 617-287-5838.

Beacons Athletics: Women’s Tennis vs Wentworth Institute of Technology, 3-6pm.

Intramural Aqua Aerobics for Faculty and Staff 5:30-6:30pm. For details, drop by the Intramural Office. For more information, call Rick Sledzik at 617-287-7830.

Friday, October 3

Biology Seminar 2:30-3:30pm, Science Center, 1st Floor, Room 006. Elizabeth Boyle, PhD Candidate at UMass Boston will be presenting “Population Genetics of the Deep-Sea Gastropod Benthonella Tenella.” Stephanie Wood, PhD Candidate at UMass Boston will be presenting “Gray Seal (Halichoerus Grypus) Recolonization in New England.” For more information, call Diana Ruddy at 617-287-6600.

Saturday, October 4

Beacons Athletics: Women’s Soccer vs Rhode Island College, 1-3pm

Sunday, October 5

WUMB 91.9 FM Commonwealth Journal 7pm. Interviews with scholars, writers, and public officials examining current issues of interest to the people of Massachusetts. Visit www.wumb.org. For more information, call 617-287-6900.

Monday, October 6

Interfaith Bible Study and Fellowship 11:30am-12:30pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join with Rev. Adrienne to study the Word of God. For more information, call Rev. Adrienne Berry Burton at 617-287-5838.

Tuesday, October 7, 2003

Inquiry for Adult Baptism and Confirmation 11:30am, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Interested in exploring becoming a member of the Catholic faith? Questions about what it is to be a Catholic? This time is set aside for anyone who has questions about where their faith is taking them and how they might proceed to own it in a more personal way. Held every Tuesday. Additional appointment times also available – please contact us. For more information, call Maggie Cahill at 617-287-5839.

Communion Service followed by Interfaith Bible Discussion 4:30-6pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join Catholic Chaplain Maggie Cahill for Liturgy of the Word and the sharing of communion, followed by an interfaith Bible discussion at 5:15. For more information, call 617-287-5839.

Interfaith Scripture Study and Reflection 5:15-6:30pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join with your Interfaith Catholic Chaplain, Maggie Cahill to explore inspired writings. Works to be explored will include the Word of the Old and New Testament. Special requests are welcome. For more information, call Maggie Cahill at 617-287-5839.

Beacons Athletics: Women’s Volleyball vs University of Southern Maine, 7-9pm.

Wednesday, October 8, 2003

2003 Open House Volunteers Needed The Office of Undergraduate Admissions is looking for student volunteers to act as ushers, tour guides and greeters for our annual Open House on Saturday, October 25, 2003. This is a recruitment opportunity to showcase the university to prospective applicants. Hope you can join us! For more information, call 617-287-6126.

The Future of the Financial Services Industry Conference 9am-2pm, Boston Stock Exchange, 100 Franklin Street Boston. Presentation of faculty report on The Future of The Financial Services Industry folowed by panel discussion with Paul Connolly, Vice President Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Chales Clough, CEO Clough Capital Partners, Ed D’Alelio, College of Management Executive-in-Residence. Luncheon address by Roger Ferguson, Vice Chairman of the Federal Reserve system. Reservations and Tickets Required. For more information, call Mary Ann Machanic at 617-287-7734.

Annual University Health Services Health Fair 11am-2pm, McCormack Hall, 1st Floor, hallways. Join us for fun, food, prizes and giveaways at our annual Health Services Health Fair. Screenings will include vision, dental, BMI, Blood Pressure, Cholesteral/Glucose – and more. Health information, gifts, and the opportunity to meet the staff of your University Health Services. For more information, call Linda Jorgensen at 617-287-5680.

Digital Classroom Seminar Series 12:30-1:30pm, Healey Library, 11th Floor, Library Staff Lounge. The Digital Classroom is a new seminar series created for UMass Boston faculty who are interested in learning more about how emerging technologies are affecting the classroom. The series will run through the end of the spring semester and occur on the second Wednesday of each month. For more information, call Eileen McMahon at 617-287-3998.

Catholic Campus Ministry Mass 12:30pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Join Father Larry for this weekly celebration. For more information, call 617-287-5839 or email [email protected].

Artist Talk – Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? 1-2pm, McCormack Hall, 1st Floor, Harbor Gallery. “Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf” is an art project by UMass Boston alumna Kathleen Bitetti. The project uses art to communicate about the subject of domestic violence. Like most of her works, the pieces blend sculpture and installation art using common items like beds, pillows, a kitchen table, and chairs, all painted white and stenciled with words that evoke the reality of domestic violence. Sponsored by Arts on the Point and University Health Services. For more information, call Tara at 617-287-7988.

Student Senate Government Meeting 2:30-4pm, Wheatley Hall, 4th Floor, Lounge. For more information, call Bryan Smith at 617-287-7973 or email [email protected].

Beacons Athletics: Men’s Soccer vs Clark University, 3:30-5:30pm

Hall of Fame Banquet 7-9pm. The Hall of Fame recognizes and honors former outstanding UMass Boston student-athletes, coaches, administrators and friends of the athletic program for their accomplishments and services to the Department of Athletics. Boston State College’s outstanding performers also will be inducted. For more information, call David Marsters at 617-287-7802.

Athletics Department Hall of Fame Banquet 7-9pm, Healey Library, 11th Floor, University Club. The Hall of Fame recognizes former outstanding athletes, staff and contributors to the UMass Boston Department of Athletics. The Department will also be recognizing former Boston State College greats. For tickets and information please contact David Marsters at 617-287-7802. For more information, call David Marsters at 617-287-7802 or email [email protected].

Thursday, October 9, 2003

Blue Balloon Brown Bag Lunch Group 12:30 – 1:30 p.m., McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Cafeteria. UMB faculty who are using Prometheus to enhance their face-to-face class, teaching a class online or just interested in learning more about Prometheus are invited to attend this meeting. This will be a regular informal forum to share techniques and experiences using Prometheus, UMass Boston’s learning management system and is open to all full time, part-time, or adjunct faculty members. Bring your lunch and look for the blue balloon! For more information, call Eileen McMahon at 617-287-3998.

Beacons Athletics: Women’s Soccer vs Lesley College, 3:30-5:30pm

Christian Worship and Fellowship, 4pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. For more information, call Rev. Adrienne Berry-Burton at 617-287-5838.

Friday, October 10, 2003

Biology Seminar 2:30-3:30pm, Science Center, 1st Floor, Room 006. Dr. Angelika Amon from MIT/Howard Hughes Medical Institute presenting Control of Chromosome Segregation in Yeast. For more information, call Diana Ruddy at 617-287-6600.