66°

Autumn Sorrow for Women’s Tennis

On the bucolic campus of Plymouth State College, Carminda Rocha, Caitlin Morin, and Kristen Mandsager each captured singles championships in the 2003 Little East Conference Women’s Tennis Championships, helping Rhode Island College capture the conference championship. The championship was the third in five years for the Anchorwomen.

In the face of insurmountable odds, the vastly understaffed UMass Boston women’s tennis team (only two players) headed to the Granite State last weekend to participate. Not surprisingly, the Beacons finished in sixth place (out of six teams), amassing only three points during the two-day tournament

UMB dynamo Denise Ridge, in number one single’s play, did not excel in the championship setting. The sophomore from Milton did bounce her first round opponent Hannah Chavez of UMass Dartmouth from the tournament, 8-6, but she then fell in the next round to Liz Barrett of Rhode Island College, 7-5, 7-5.

The only other Beacon participant was Victoria Romero. Romero, in the number two single’s play, was ousted from the tournament by Katie Olsen of Plymouth State.

Other singles winners were Chelsea Gray (#1) and Morgan Alley (#3) of Southern Maine, and Rachel Xavier of Plymouth State.

The doubles champions were Gray/Alley (#1), Kendra Sloat/Kate Poirier (#2) of Western Connecticut State, and Katie Haeper/Kristen Spooner (#3) of UMass Dartmouth.

The final standings of the tournaments were as follows: Rhode Island College (20), Southern Maine (16), Western Connecticut State (9), Plymouth State (8), UMass Dartmouth (6.5), UMass Boston (3).

The team concluded its season on Wednesday, October 22 against Emmanuel College.