63°

GSA News

2003-2004 Elected Officers

On September 25, 2003 the GSA members elected their new executive officers for the 2003-2004 academic year. Congratulations to the following new officers:

Caroline Coscia – PresidentCharles Schena- Vice President Peter Van Do – Treasurer

Recognized Professional Associations (RPAs)

GSA members voted to activate the following RPAs:American Studies Roundtable, Applied Sociology, Associations of Health Policy Scholars, Biology Graduate Students Professional Association, Chinese Scholar and Student Association, CCT Forum/CCT in Practice, Clinical Graduate Student Association, Dispute Resolution, ECOS Association, Family Therapy Association, Gerontology Student Organization, Graduate Nursing Organization, Mental Health Counseling, MITR: Indian Student Association, PAASSAGE, Public Policy Association, Rehabilitation Counseling, School of Psychology Club, Taiwan Student Organization. In addition to activating the RPAs, the GSA voted to fund each RPA $200 to use for RPA related activities.

Museum of Fine Arts

The GSA membership voted to donate a grand total of $2,500 towards helping the Undergraduate Student Senate purchase an annual university membership to the Museum of Fine Arts. The Undergraduate Student Senate traditionally paid for the cost of UMB’s membership to the MFA, a perk that benefited all students. In light of budget cuts, the senate has asked the GSA to share a portion of the cost of the membership fees. The membership entitles all UMass Boston students to free admission (a $13 value) at the MFA.

RPA Website

If your RPA has a website and you would like to have your URL added as a link from the GSA website, please forwards your URL via email to us.

RPA Activities

Please inform the GSA of activities your association is holding so that we may advertise your event through this column.

Spayne & Bollinger Fall Deadline Established

The fall 2003 deadline for the Spayne & Bollinger applications is Tuesday, December 2, 2003 at 5p.m. Applications are available on the GSA website, www.gsa.umb.edu. The Robert W. Spayne Research Grand for Masters students and the Craig R. Bollinger Memorial Research Grand for Doctoral students provides recipients with funding used to complete their thesis or dissertation. This is a competitive process as we receive more applications than available awards.

Meeting Reminder

Meet the new Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Dr. J. Keith Motley at the next GSA is meeting on Thursday, October 9th. The meeting will be held at 4 p.m. in the Wheatley fourth floor Student Lounge.