66°

Down Two, Defending Dartmouth

Toshiba Digital Camera
Toshiba Digital Camera

Saturday, September 18, the UMass women’s soccer team was outnumbered in more than one way. Fellow UMass state system school, UMass Dartmouth, blanked the Beacons 3-0 at Clark Athletic Center Field. Despite the clear day, the company of the Corsairs, who had two full squads to match the Beacons’ slim eight players, fogged the Beacons in. It was apparent that the Beacons had drafted a defensive game plan under the circumstances, as throughout most of the game the Beacons were busy clearing the ball out of their own half of the field, unfortunately, no goals were reaped. Mainly, the Beacons were unable to capitalized because they were short by two players; however, the Beacons did hold the Corsairs scoreless for 35 minutes.

Senior goalkeeper Kristen Bowes’ services were in high demand during the contest. She came through stopping 15 shots for the Beacons in 78:05 of engagement. Kristen Smoyer substituted in for Bowes with 11:05 left. Smoyer had one save of her own. UMass Dartmouth keeper, Amanda Travares, turned away the only shot that the Beacons got off. The Corsairs conquered the Beacons by out shooting them 19-1.

The Beacons fall to 3-10-0 on the season, including a record of 0-5-0 in Little East Conference contests. On October 21, Emerson College came to UMass for a 3:30pm game. And today, October 23, the Beacons will face Wentworth Institute of Technology in another 3:30pm start at home. The Leopards are 10-4 on the season and are sure to be fierce competitors.