66°

Anchormen Weigh Down UMB

The University of Massachusetts Boston men’s soccer team is now in a bit of a slump. The Beacons lost their third straight game, a 5-1 match against Little East Conference (LEC) rival Rhode Island College. The loss dropped UMB’s record to 6-4 overall and the team remains winless in conference play (0-3). Rhode Island improved its record to 7-4 overall.

It was Anchorman Kyle Teixeira that was the real menace to the Beacons. The sophomore tallied four goals in the contest, including three in the second half.

It was a close game during the first half. After Teixeira notched his first goal early on, the Beacons tied the game on a Roger Lau goal in the 40th minute. Midfielder James Ocampo assisted on the play.

In the second half, Teixeira erased any thoughts of a road win for the Beacons. The forward from Warren, Rhode Island scored three goals in the span of 14 minutes and ten seconds. RIC’s Brian Schimmel scored the fifth goal to account for the final score.

UMB did not make Anchormen goal keeper Kyle Amaral break much of a sweat, as the freshman only had to face four shots, stopping three of them. His Beacon counterpart, Roger Tady, had to see fifteen RIC shots, coming up with ten saves.

The Beacons next play at home against LEC Southern Maine on Saturday, October 11 at 1pm at the Clark Athletic Center.