66°

Swept Away at NEISA

Photo by Mimi Yeh
Photo by Mimi Yeh

For the first time in ten years, UMass Boston made its presence felt on the Charles River at the Metro series, Saturday, September 27. Dan Malloy, Eliza Wilson, Rob Gray, Anthony Rossamondo, Jen O’Halloran, Chrissy Coolidge, and John Lee came together to race against schools like MIT and BU. Though over half the team had no prior racing experience and the first time, as a whole, that the team had even sailed on the Charles with practice only in sailing around UMB, they feel “positive” for having participated in the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association event.

The Metro series will run for the next six weeks. Teams will be divided into two fleets, referred to as the “A” and “B” divisions, with two people per boat who will compete in sets. Races were run in three-minute sequences with a big emphasis on safety. UMB raced out of the Harvard boathouse using Larks, a type of boat.

Normally, UMB students would be limited to Mercuries, akin to a “bathtub with a sail” as one person referred to them. Fine for cruising, they’re not made for the tight tacks that boats such as Larks or 420s are capable of making. However, the team was better prepared because B.C. High allowed the UMB team use of their 420s a boat they wouldn’t normally have the chance to hone their skills on.

Overall, the team came in 11th out of the 11 schools that were competing. The team earned a number of points based on their rank in each race within a set, coming to a total of 167 points.

For information on how to get involved and where to watch next weekend, contact Eliza Wilson or Tom Walsh at the Sailing Office, ext. 7-7833

MiMi Yeh served as arts editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2001-2002; *2002-2003; 2003-2004 *Evan Sicuranza served as arts editor for Fall 2002 Disclaimer: Years served is based on online database and may not detail entire service.