66°

Response To Professor King

I read your letter to the Mass Media with some concern. I suspect that you did not actually see the flyer in which your name was listed. The flyer in which you are listed among other faculty of color who have recently left UMass Boston, was composed primarily by Professor Tim Sieber and the point which it makes is that many high-level administrators and faculty of color have recently left UMass Boston and have not generally been replaced by people of color, thereby negatively changing the racial composition of the campus, especially at the higher levels. While it is true that the case of Ismael Ramirez-Soto of one among many cases mentioned, this flyer is not especially in support of him.

There is another flyer which some of us at CPCS put out that is regarding the forced resignation of our dean. You are not mentioned on this flyer, nor is anyone else other than Ismael.

I regret if you were misinformed about where your name appeared. I am attaching the flyer in which you name appears for your review and would appreciate hearing whether you have any objection to your name appearing on that list. It is, after all, simply a factual list.

Marie KennedyAssociate Dean for Academic AffairsProfessor of Community Planning College of Public and Community Service