63°

Latino Consortium Film Series at the Strand Theatre

The Latino Film Consortium of Boston will host a series of Latino Films at the Historic Strand Theatre in Dorchester’s Uphams Corner. The Film Series begins on Sunday, October 5 at 7:00pm. The first film, No Turning Back, will be followed by Q&A with writer, director, producer and actor Jesus Nebot. Also live music by “Radhy Montero Twelve Piece Orchestra.” No Turning Back is a film about an illegal immigrant from Honduras, living in the United States working on a tomato farm, who gets in trouble when he accidentally hits a girl with his employer’s truck. Deciding to try to escape the law, Pablo goes on the run with his young daughter Christina. As he flees, his experience is recorded in print and on video by a mysterious “guerilla journalist.”

The second film of the series is Blue Diner, showing Sunday, October 26 at 7:00pm. Blue Diner is one of the few fully bilingual American Independent films today. The story speaks of a Puerto Rican mother and daughter dealing with the loss of a father/husband, lost language and lost love.

The third film of the series is Down the Road, playing Saturday, November 8 at 8:00pm. This movie is not yet rated (sexuality, rape and some violence). In Down the Road a young Korean War Veteran returns home to find his parents have died and his wife has left him for another man. He leaves his California roots for Middle America in search of a distant cousin; who has been missing for four years, leaving behind a wife and five daughters living in a small town full of secrets, blackmail and murder.

The fourth film of the series is MI PUERTO RICO, showing Saturday, November 15 at 8:00pm. MI PUERTO RICO is a documentary by the National Latino Communications Center Educational Media, 1996. This documentary follows a Spanish woman who grows up in New York and goes to Puerto Rico to find her roots.

The fifth film of this series Almost a Woman, will play Saturday, December 20 at 8pm. Almost a Woman is an inspiring story of a teenage girl who overcomes language and cultural barriers to achieve her dreams. Almost a Woman was adapted by Esmeralda Santiago from her novel of the same title.

The Strand Theatre is an ideal venue for the series; the Strand opened its doors in 1918 as a vaudeville movie palace and since 2002 has been featuring national and international independent films.

The mission of the Latino Film Consortium is to fill a void for films not usually seen in the Boston theaters. The consortium would like to continue to provide films by, for and/or about the Latino community to be shown at the Strand Theatre. The result is a series of five interesting and captivating films shown in the heart of the community each film night will feature live music, ethnic food and interactive sessions with the movie producers, actors and directors.

Tickets are available for $10 for adults and $5 for children under 12. For more information contact the Strand Theatre at (617) 282-8000 or Para informacion en espanol llame Fernando Bossa @ 617-265-0363. Parking is safe, free, and easily accessible. Please visit our web site at strandtheatreboston.com.