66°

Beacons Chop Down Pine Manor

After a 0-4 start, in their last to games the UMass women’s soccer team has beamed brighter than they have 1997. They have recorded both back-to-back wins and consecutive shutouts in their games against Fitchburg State and Pine Manor, respectively. The last time the Beacons accomplished this feat was in September of 1997 when they blanked Johnson & Wales and Emerson College on the 13 and 16 of that month. In the following month of that same season they had back-to-back wins against Lesley University and Regis College.

The Beacons took it to Pine Manor 5-0 on September 17 on the Clark Athletic Center Field. Sophomore forward Amanda Greene froze the Gators of Pine Manor as she swamped them with her first colligiate hat trick. Freshman defender Kristy Brooks fed Greene for her first goal at 8:34. Greene went unassisted four minutes later for number two. The rabbits started coming out at 38:46 in the first half when Greene knocked in her third goal, and second unassisted.

Junior midfielder Kristen Smoyer started the Beacons first half scoring spree at 6:55 off the assist of sophomore forward Lara Miele. Miele netted one of her own at 29:50 between Greene’s second and third, which was aided by Elizabeth Erlandson a fellow sophomore forward. After Miele’s goal the Beacons were up 4-0 on the Gators. Beacon senior goalkeeper Kristen Bowes has gone 185:57 without permitting a goal scored. She had four saves against the Gators. The Beacons out shot the Gators 32-5 in the match. With the two latest and quite impressive wins by the Beacons they move to 2-4 on the season. The women’s next home game is October 4 at 1pm.