66°

GSA News

2003-2004 Elected Members

At the Graduate Student Assembly’s first meeting of the school year on September 11th, continuing members voted to induct graduate students wishing to be a part of the GSA. Congratulations to the following 2003-2004 elected GSA members:

Heather Connors, Caroline Coscia, Ryan Dorland, Abbas Gokal, Sarah Gyorog, Kevin Johnson, Kapil Kini, Carlos Maynard, Marty McIsaac, Prasann Patil, Jillian Spooner, Sunny Stich, Maria Tracy, Peter Vando.

Museum of Fine Arts

Many students are unaware that currently as Umass Boston students they are entitled to free admission (a $13 value) at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts. The Undergraduate Student Senate traditionally paid for the cost of UMB’s membership to the MFA a perk that benefited all students. In light of budget cuts the Senate has asked the GSA to share a small portion of the cost of the membership. At the September 11th meeting the GSA voted to donate $1,000 dollars towards the purchase of another a 2003-2004 school year membership to the MFA.

GSA Meeting – September 25th, 2003

This years constituents of the GSA represent a wide variety of departments and disciplines. Anyone who feels their department is not being adequately represented and wishes to become a voting member of the GSA is encouraged to attend our next meeting on September 25th at 4pm in the Wheatley Lounge. The GSA will consider electing additional graduate students wishing to join.

The GSA maintains open door policies where all students who wish to exchange ideas and information with the membership are encouraged to attend GSA meetings.

Graduate Academic Conference

The GSA has started planning for the Fifth Annual Graduate Academic Conference set to take place in Spring 2004. We are entertaining several different ideas including inviting students and faculty from the other UMass institutions participate in our daylong event. This event will give UMass Boston students and opportunity to showcase their research and exchange ideas with their colleagues at the other campuses.

Because the focus of this academic conference is primarily to benefit the graduate students of this campus, the GSA gladly welcomes ideas and input from students and faculty as to how we can develop this conference to suit our community’s needs.