63°

Ridge Raises Racket

Toshiba Digital Camera
Toshiba Digital Camera

UMass sophomore Denise Ridge of Milton, MA, was named Little East Conference Player of the Week for her outstanding play during the week of September 8-14. Ridge, who plays at the number one spot on the women’s tennis team, put together a flawless combined 4-0 in both singles and doubles play. Her singles victories were 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 over Denise Mengledorff of Eastern Nazarene College on September 9 and 6-4, 6-1 against Hannah Chavez of UMass Dartmouth on September 13, respectively. UMass senior Chrissy Coolidge of Portola Valley, CA, assisted Ridge in toppling Mingledorf and Molly Trevathan of Eastern Nazarene, 8-6 in Pro-Set. Later in the week Victoria Sarah Romero a freshman from Winthrop, MA, and Ridge backed each other in an 8-2 doubles victory over Jyoti Folch and Kerry Bauer of UMass Dartmouth.

Fittingly, Ridge is the reigning Little East Conference First Singles Champion with a 9-4 record in singles play in 2002 as a freshman. Going into her Thursday September 18 match against Suffolk University she had an overall colligiate record of 13-5. Ridges success is netted together by her well-rounded play, which is highlighted by her strength and determination.

First year coach Brad Hughes, who formerly was a 3-year coach at Milton High School, is coaching Ridge as well as the rest of the team this season. The Beacons defeated 7-2 Suffolk at Clark Athletic Center on September 18, which improves their overall record to 1-3 on the season. Four of the wins were the result of forfeit; nonetheless, the Beacons won three of their five actual matches. First singles Denise Ridge dominated Marlena Crandell 6-1, 6-2. Beacons Chrissy Coolidge and Chidinma Okebalama came back after dropping their first sets to win their matches as well. Coolidge went 4-6, 6-2, 6-2, and Okebalama went 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, toppling Katie Ryan and Melinda Moy of Suffolk, respectively.

This season the women’s team is comprised of 6 players, listed in ascending order: junior Cindy Wilson, freshman Victoria Romero, transfer Cindy Wong, sophomore Chidinma Okebalama, senior Chrissy Coolidge, and sophomore Denise Ridge. The Beacon’s next home opponent is a conference match on September 27 against Western Connecticut State University. Come out and support UMass athletics and see Denise Ridge face Kendra Sloat in what is sure to be a great first singles match.