66°

Steady as She Goes: Women’s B-Ball Wins Back-to-Back

The women´s basketball team crowds around its coaches, who have done a very good job melding the young players into a cohesive squad in such a short time. The 3-1 start guarantees that the team will carry a winning record into the New Year.

A 3-1 one start to the season is not a bad sign for a team that has a lot of new faces. And while the newcomers get acclimated to life at UMass Boston, it’s some familiar faces that are leading the way.

Guard Indya Mitchell and Elmina Darville had 18 and 12 points, respectively, and helped give the Lady Crusaders of Eastern Nazarene its first defeat of the season, 86-74. Then, two days later, Mitchell dropped in 10 points as the Beacons staved off a late comeback by Emerson College to take a 61-50 victory.

The team was to open its Little East Conference schedule on December 6 against Western Connecticut State, but due to the snowstorm, the game was postponed. No make up date had been announced as of press time.

The Beacons are getting balanced scoring and the second unit is providing the depth the team will need for conference play. Ten different players scored in the Eastern Nazarene game and 12 scored at least one point in the Emerson contest.

UMB will head to New Hampshire over the weekend to play Keene State to open Little East Conference play. The Beacons will break for finals and the holidays and then resume action in the new year when they host Rhode Island College on January 10.