66°

Bad Neighbors: Emerson, Suffolk hand UMB men’s basketball losses

It was not a good week for the UMass Boston men’s basketball team, losing twice to opponents from nearby colleges. The first game was a heartbreaking 93-88 overtime loss to Emerson College, and the second was a 95-86 defeat to Suffolk University. The Beacons’ record currently stands at 1-3.

The Emerson loss was particularly painful, as the Beacons held a 7-point lead with only 3:21 remaining in the game. Emerson College, however, blanked UMB the rest of the way and scored the final seven points of regulation. In the overtime, Stephen Graham of Emerson scored eight of the team’s 14 points en route to the win.

UMB got a good game from junior Tony Jefferson, who scored 15 points to go along with five assists. James Hall also played well, scoring 11 points and grabbing seven rebounds. It was just not enough to offset Emerson, which shot almost 60% (34-57) from the floor.

The team opened up LEC play with a game against Western Connecticut State on December 9. The team will play two road games before finals break, the first on Thursday, December 11 against Salem State College, and the second against LEC foe Keene State on Saturday, December 13.

The team will head to Flagler College in Florida right after New Year’s to play in a tournament. The next home game will be on Tuesday, January 6 against Tufts University.