66°

Five Wins in Five Games and Looking for More

The UMass Boston’s women’s ice hockey team will resume action after a 22-day lay off against Rochester Institute of Technology in a pair of ECAC contests on the road on Friday, December 12 at 7pm, and then again the following day at 2pm. RIT’s record stands at 5-2 overall and it is undefeated in conference play (2-0).

The Beacons, who remain undefeated in their inaugural season of varsity competition, currently stand in third place in the ECAC East Conference. Nationally ranked Manhattanville (#3) and Rensselaer (#8) are in first and second place, respectively.

The team has been led by the stellar play of its first line. Calli Beskosty, Melissa Belmonte, and Andrea Ciarletta have surprised many in the early going of the season with their offensive firepower. The line has registered totals of 20 goals and 23 assists only after five games. Both Belmonte and Ciarletta have each been named ECAC East Rookie of the Week during the season.

The wins, however, are not due solely to efforts of the freshman trio. Six other Beacons have scored a goal and still three others have registered at least one assist. Also, goaltenders Shannon Palmer and Amanda Boucher have both played extremely well in net.

After the RIT games, the team will break for finals and the holidays. The schedule will resume on Tuesday, January 6 at 7pm when Utica College skates into the Clark Center. There will be three more home games before the resuming of classes, a Tuesday January 13 date with Connecticut College at 7pm, and then a two game weekend set with ECAC East foe New England College on January 17 and 18.

The biggest challenge that the team will face over the winter break will be a pair of road games against Manhattanville. As of December 8, Manhattanville holds a 7-1-1 record.