66°

Church, State and Gay Marriage

I didn’t think that it (gays/lesbians have right to marry) was possible (for Massachusetts to pass the law) until I was ransacked with inundated E-mails from my fellow colleagues and friends from around the world. This needs to be debated and discussed to educate those who are ignorant of the misguided and ill-advised supporters against homosexual’s right to civil marriage.

Governor Mitt Romney, the Roman Catholic Church and its affiliates and other religious sects, President Bush and other left-wing conservative supporters are doing everything they can do to usurp this law to protect the clause of marriage to one man and one woman.

The world is forever changing. More and more people are becoming educated and making their own decisions regarding their political, social, and religious wherewithal. People of today could not even think of being gay or lesbian or usurping the church’s laws 150 years ago. Why? Because man has always feared his own rhetoric concerning homosexuality; infuse this with religion and we have a fundamental Juggernaut whereby the “Church” and their supporters and followers truly believe [g]od, Jesus, the Messiah, Ishmael, etcetera sanctioned marriage between one man and one woman.

We have a long road ahead of us and I ask you, today, to share this with your friends, family, and adversaries. You don’t have to believe that individuals of the same sex should have the right to a civil marriage. All I ask from you is to have an objective, unbiased, and fair view as reported in the Boston Globe (“Experts: the majority opinions.” City & Region. The Boston Globe 19 Nov. 2003: B8.), Honorable Margaret H. Marshall stated, “The question before us is whether, consistent with the Massachusetts Constitution, the Commonwealth may deny the protections, benefits, and obligations conferred by civil marriage to two individuals of the same sex who wish to marry. We conclude that it may not.” Discuss this question amongst your friends, colleagues, relatives, and adversaries.

J. Stone Laraway IIAlum, MSIS 2003