66°

GSA News – 3/11/04

GSA’s New Office

The Graduate Student Assembly Office has finally moved into its new office in the Campus Center. The new office is located in room 3404.

Professional Development Grant Freeze

The Graduate Student Assembly will not be accepting any more Professional Development Grant Applications (PDG). The Graduate Student Assembly budget line item for 2003/2004 PDG of $25,000 has been met and therefore will not be awarding anymore grand for the rest of this academic year.

As a result of such an unprecedented number of applications, the GSA has formed a Professional Development Grant Sub-Committee to address issues related to the current application and award process. The committee is expected to report to the GSA membership with their suggestions as to how to avoid such a shortage of grants next academic year.

GSA Funds the School of Psychology

The GSA Membership voted to award the School of Psychology $200 so that their student can attend a conference in Woburn, MA.

Poster Display at the Campus Center Opening Gala

The Graduate Student Assembly has arranged for UMB Graduate Students to display their research posters at the Campus Center Opening Fundraising Gala on April 26. This is an excellent opportunity for our graduate community to proudly display our work to Boston’s community leaders.

Posters should follow a traditional format that includes a short abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion and references. Posters presented at other professional conferences will be accepted. Please confirm your submission to the GSA via email at [email protected]. Don’t forget to include your program, and research topic.

GSA Meeting March 4

The next GSA meeting will be held March 4 at 3pm in the Wheatley Student Lounge on the 4th floor of the Wheatley Building. The GSA maintains an open door policy and encourages any students interested in participating to attend.

Dissertation Defense

PhD. Candidate Judith Oleks will be defending her dissertation titled, “Student Satisfaction and Estimate of Gains from Online Learning: Examining Electronic Engagement and Learning Style”. The even will be held on Wednesday, March 24 2004 at 1:00-3:00pm in the Provost’s Conference Room, Healey Library, 8th floor.

PhD. Candidate Lunine Pierre-Jerome will be defending his dissertation titled, “Identity Development among Low-Literacy Haitian Adolescent Newcomers: A Case Study”. The event will be on Friday, March 26 at 1:00-3:00pm in the GCOE Dean’s Conference Room, Wheatley, 1st floor, Room 75.

The Graduate Student Assembly wishes both these candidates the best of luck.