66°

GSA News – 3/4/04

Professional Development Grant Shortage

This year, the GSA has received an unprecedented number of PDG applications to attend conferences, professional meetings, and conventions. The GSA will stop accepting new applications as soon as we reach the budgeted amount for this grant for this academic year. We strongly urge all graduate students planning to use the PDG money to apply as soon as possible. Applicants will be accepted on a first come first serve basis until the funds run out.

GSA Graduate Academic Conference

The Graduate Student Assembly Fifth Annual Graduate Academic Conference will be held on April 30, 2004 in the new Campus Center. The conference date had to be changed from its original date of March 26 as a result of space availability issues in the new facility.

The conference will be an interdisciplinary event aimed at encouraging graduate students to share ideas and learn from each other. The day’s events will include guest lectures, panel discussions, workshops, a luncheon, and a poster reception. We hope this will be an opportunity for graduate students to leave the confines of their department offices and meet and mingle with other graduate students.

Poster Display at the Campus Center Opening Gala

The Graduate Student Assembly has arranged for UMB Graduate Students to display their research posters at the Campus Center Opening Fundraising Gala on April 26. This is an excellent opportunity for our graduate community to proudly display our work to Boston’s community leaders.

Posters should follow a traditional format that includes a short abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion and references. Posters presented at other professional conferences will be accepted. Please confirm your submission to the GSA via email at [email protected]. Don’t forget to include your program and research topic.

GSA Meeting March 4

The next GSA meeting will be held March 4 at 3pm in the Wheatley Student Lounge on the 4th floor of the Wheatley Building. The GSA maintains an open door policy and encourages any students interested in participating to attend.

Dissertation Defense

PhD. Candidate Judith Oleks will be defending her dissertation titled, “Student Satisfaction and Estimate of Gains from Online Learning: Examining Electronic Engagement and Learning Style”. The even will be held on Wednesday, March 24 from 1:00-3:00pm in the Provost’s Conference Room, Healey Library, 8th floor.

PhD. Candidate Lunine Pierre-Jerome will be defending his dissertation titled, “Identity Development among Low-Literacy Haitian Adolescent Newcomers: A Case Study”. The event will be on Friday, March 26 from 1:00-3:00pm in the GCOE Dean’s Conference Room, Wheatley, first floor, Room 75.