63°

Beacons Bow Out

The UMass Boston men’s hockey team had a rough ride this season. It came to a close last weekend as the Pilgrims of New England College scored nine times in an ECAC East III quarterfinal match-up victory over the Beacons.

The game was tied at one for much of the first period. Dennis McMasters of UMB evened the score at the 6:30 mark before things became ugly.

The Beacons could not stop the Pilgrim’s offensive attack. NEC unloaded 69 shots on Beacon goaltender Craig Paster, who stopped 60 of them. The Pilgrims were also afforded seven power-play opportunities, scoring four times with the man advantage.

NEC and UMB have a history of bad blood between them and Saturday’s game was no exception. A combined 21 penalties were called, and junior forward Patrick Donlan of the Beacons was given a game misconduct midway through the second period.

For those with short memories or who otherwise don’t know, it was a little over two years ago that the Pilgrims and Beacons met in an ECAC quarterfinal that turned into an on-ice rumble at the end of the second period. Both benches emptied and before you could say “zamboni,” six Beacon players (including current interim UMB coach Michael Bertoni) and four Pilgrim players were ejected for fighting. A total of 36 penalties for 171 minutes was handed out that night. NEC defeated UMB 4-2.

The Beacons finished the 2003-04 season with a 3-23 overall record. The team still awaits word from Jack Foley as to whether or not he will resume head coaching duties for the 2004-05 season.