66°

News Briefs – 3/4/04

DNC Groups Approach UMB for Use of Campus Center

Two groups from the Democratic National Committee have approached university administration officials for use of the Campus Center to hold events.

Associate Chancellor Kenneth Lemanski, representing Chancellor Jo Ann Gora at the monthly University Faculty Council meeting, announced that the Democratic Governors Association and the Massachusetts’ Congressional delegation are looking into the possibility of holding events in the brand new Campus Center, slated to open later this month.

Congressman Steven Lynch is in talks to head the hosting by the congressional delegation of about 175 delegates.

The Democratic Governors’ Association will be dropping by campus March 9 to tour the Campus Center. While on campus, the group may be willing to sit down with students, staff, and faculty to discuss issues of interest, such as homeland security, the economy, and education.

The event will be held around the time of the Democratic National Convention in July. Lemanski said it would be at no cost to the university, and an opportunity for the university to establish itself with political leaders from across the country.

It’s probably safe to say that Governor Mitt Romney (R) won’t be getting an invite.

Other Campus Center events include an April 2 ribbon-cutting with Lt. Gov. Kerry Healy, and a fundraising event on April 26 honoring alumni.

No More Point, Community Partnership Dissolved

A four-year-old non-profit institutional community partnership was dissolved after a decision by its executive board, which UMass Boston Chancellor Jo Ann Gora is on, the Boston Globe reported.

“I cannot raise money for another nonprofit, nor can I take money out of my budget for my students and give it to another nonprofit,” Gora told the Globe. The Globe continued: “Gora said the university is still willing to play a role in administering the partnership’s most visible programs.”

Responded Brian Toomey, the original chairman of the partnership and former director of the Point’s community health center, “The university just didn’t see a strong need for it. The current UMass leadership just didn’t buy into the concept of it.”