66°

UMB Celebrates Student Leadership

Photo by Carl Brooks
Photo by Carl Brooks

UMB’s 12th annual gala dinner to celebrate student leadership was a bright success last Wednesday. Held in the new Grand Ballroom in the Campus Center, the Student Leadership Recognition Awards dinner was a homey mix of familiar campus faces and families.

Hosted by the Beacon Leadership Project, which is run by Student Life, the dinner honored over 60 UMB students for their contributions to campus life, including Mass Media Editor-in-Chief Jason Campos, Student Senate President Susan Smith, man-about-campus Fritz Hyppolite, and student activist and Mass Media Sports Editor Anthony Naro.

Campos said of the dinner, “It’s a nice way for the university to honor its student leaders, especially those who are not in the limelight on a regular basis.”

Chancellor Jo Ann Gora was on hand to explain the Leadership Recognition Awards, saying the awards went to “the individuals who commit to making a community here on campus.”

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Keith Motley called UMB students “resources for success” and praised the award winners.

The dinner also featured a well-turned sonnet by Professor Duncan Nelson.

The Beacon Leadership Project is a division of Student Life that aims to “enhance the leadership potential, capabilities and aspirations” of UMB students. It selects applicants for special credit or competency programs based on prior experience and leadership qualifications, such as running a student club or helping out at a non-profit. It has 25 slots every year, but holds the dinner to recognize student leaders who aren’t a part of the program. For the Student Leadership Recognition award, a student is nominated by a faculty member and approved by Joyce Morgan, director of student life, who says it’s an inclusive rather than exclusive ceremony.

“Everybody gets an award!” she said with a smile.

Carl Brooks served as news editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2003-2004