66°

Meet A Player: Chris Hanafin

Photo courtesy UMB Athletics
Photo courtesy UMB Athletics

Given the great talent we have here at UMass Boston in the athletics programs, I’d like to provide the opportunity for us all to get a better idea of who represents UMass Boston in athletic competition. Each week I’ll introduce you to a player from one of our spring teams. Each week I’d like members of each team to submit nominations for the teammate that they think should be introduced to the UMass Boston community. Requests should include a player’s name, team, position, and why you and/or your teammates have chosen her or him.

This week, let’s meet Christopher Hanafin of the UMB men’s lacrosse team!

Coming to UMass Boston from Burlington, MA, Chris is a freshman attack player. Currently enrolled in the College of Management, Chris commutes to and from Burlington, about 20 miles each way, every day. His classes are in the morning and break around noontime. From there he hangs around campus to study and complete class work. He then ventures off to practice at 3:00 p.m. and afterwards hops in his car back to Burlington for some rest and relaxation, no thanks to that occasional traffic of course.

Though a couple of schools approached him, Chris said that when he was being recruited to UMB the low cost of the school itself and the friendliness of the players he met attracted him the most. In high school Chris was All League in Middlesex County, first team All Star during his junior and senior years, and Co-MVP his senior year.

Chris plays for teams not only during the spring season, but he also plays in a fall league, an indoor winter league, and a summer league in either Grotten or Franklin.

So far this season, Chris as a freshman has stepped it up for the Beacon offense, scoring 15 goals in seven games. Chris is also second in the Little East Conference with 2.6 goals per game, first in shots per game with seven, and third in the conference with 3.4 points per game (littleeast.com, 4/10/04).

Nevertheless, this freshman goal-scoring machine is quite humble and recognizes how the strengths of his teammates allow him to do well. “I have great confidence in the team. Our defense is doing great, along with our midfielders. We’re also coming together really good as an offense.”

When I asked Chris how he felt about being interviewed for pieces such as this and receiving recognition as conference “Rookie of the Week,” he shrugged and said it doesn’t get to his head. He then chuckled and said that if anything, the recognition brings him some extra ribbing from his buddies on the team. Well Chris, looks like the team has a little more fuel until next week.

Players! Don’t forget to submit your “Meet a Player” requests by email at [email protected].