63°

GSA News – 4/15/04

The GSA’s Fifth Annual Graduate Academic Conference

The theme of this year’s graduate academic conference on April 30 is “Working towards a Brighter Future.” The goal of the conference is to help graduate students in their academic pursuits as well as their professional endeavors.

Grant & Academic Research

Presenting at the conference is Mary Francis O’Brien from the Boston Public Library who will be delivering a two-part presentation from 10-11:30am on grant and academic research. The BPL is a wonderful and underused resource that is located minutes away from UMass Boston. Janet Stewart from UMass’ Healey Library will follow Ms. O’Brien’s presentation with a summary of all the research resources available here on campus.

Powerful Presentation

Can you make a “powerful” PowerPoint presentation? Join Professor Octavio Richetta from 11-12pm as he delivers tips and techniques to delivering a professional and effective seminar.

Wellness Clinic

Good health is essential factor in having a successful academic and professional career. From 12-1pm will be a Wellness Clinic where you can learn about yoga, and various exercises that are quick and effective. The University Health Center will have staff on hand to perform simple screenings and answer your health questions. Stressed? Visit Amy Aransky the professional massage therapist for a relaxing massage.

Poster Reception

This is a perfect opportunity to brush up on your poster presentation skills and learn about the academic research interests of fellow UMass Graduate Students. If you are interested in presenting, posters should follow a traditional format that includes a short abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion and references. Posters presented at other professional conferences will be accepted. Please confirm your submission to the GSA via e-mail at [email protected]. Don’t forget to include your program and research topic.