66°

Meet a Player: Quazi Sadruzzaman

Photo by Kory Vergets
Photo by Kory Vergets

Meet this week’s player, UMB men’s tennis all-star, the undefeated Quazi Sadruzzaman. This is Quazi’s last season here at UMB; he is a senior with a double major in biology and economics, and he works in the population genetics lab on campus.

Quazi balances a perfect combination of academic and athletic attributes. As he finishes up at UMB, pursuing his academics is of highest importance to him. However, he was gifted with a natural talent in the game of tennis, which he has been playing since age 10, and he will always hold the game dear. Quazi will continue playing the sport during free time and expresses an interest in coaching in the future, as a side job or hobby.

How did he start playing tennis? Quazi was a soccer player in his youth, but his mother wanted him to play a sport involving less contact, at least one where the opponent was stationed further away, like the other side of a net. The change proved to be more than a success.

This is Quazi’s third year as captain of the UMB men’s tennis team. What has he drawn from the experience? Well, he has learned how to be a motivating and supportive team leader. Quazi said that the key to persuading the team is to talk through each match with the individual players-finding out why they won or lost the match, what moves were a success, as well as what areas need improvement. This has helped the team communicate better and bond as a whole. They are moving forward, although they have not had a collective win yet this season. This year’s team has been an exciting experience for Quazi, who has had the opportunity to meet players from all over the world. The team boasts players from China, Mexico, Morocco, and many other countries. Quazi himself is from Dhaka, Bangladesh and has lived all over the world, even on the exquisite island of Montserrat.

Although he is currently not playing in any outside leagues, Quazi does train off-season at a racquet club in Watertown. Asked about his preferences in the game, he said he prefers a hard court, his favorite hit is the backhand, his most challenging shot is the volley, he prefers playing baseline, full-court games, his favorite tournament is the U.S. Open, his racquet preference is Babolat, and his best match here at UMB was in spring of 2002, his sophomore year. Quazi and his Plymouth State opponent were tied in a heated game, and playing the third match. His opponent went for game point and Quazi was down by three or four points. Everyone, including his coach, was expecting Quazi to lose. In the final moments of the game, he made a strong comeback and managed to win the match, to everyone’s surprise. “It was a difficult game, but after that winning just got easier,” Quazi remarked.