66°

Meet a Player: Andrew Rowley

Toshiba Digital Camera
Toshiba Digital Camera

Meet recent Little East Conference defensive player of the week, Andrew Rowley (#14). Rowley, age 25, has been playing lacrosse since he was in the fifth grade and began as a defensive player in New Canaan, CT where he grew up.

Rowley is a freshman here at UMass Boston, coming off a four-year commitment of active duty from the Marine Corps. When Rowley came out of high school he attended Lehigh University for a short period and then enlisted at age 20. During that period of time Rowley didn’t get to play lacrosse but he stayed quite active as one can expect. Stationed in Hawaii, Rowley also traveled with his section to places like Japan, Korea, and Australia.

Rowley remains on inactive duty for the next three years but he doesn’t believe that he will be needed during that period of time. Instead he will be spending his time here at UMass Boston studying economics. Rowley said that as of now he sees himself hopefully working for an investment bank. But until that job kicks in, he is able to take advantage of the GI Bill to help pay for school.

Hopefully Andrew will stay here at UMass Boston for its economics department and its lacrosse team. Andrew has added a very strong element to the team, playing both great defense and offense. Though he has always played defense, this season he has played as a mid-fielder, switching from a long stick to a short stick at different points in the game, depending on the team’s needs. He has enjoyed adding another element to his game and says that the new position adds more fun to playing the game. Regardless of what position he plays, he is a threat to the other team, offensively and defensively. As of April 24 Rowley was third in the LEC for ground balls per game with 5.75 per game and 14th in shots per game with 4.25. Rowley also is known for scoring when he plays on defense, rocketing shots with the long stick on breaks up the field.

Andrew also has come through for the team during tense moments in game, performing exceptionally well under pressure, (a skill that he will undoubtedly need when he begins work with investment banks). Recently Rowley tied the game with barely seconds left in the last period of play on an unassisted goal against Plymouth State College. That goal allowed the team to enter overtime and win.

To stay on top of his game Rowley makes sure that he plays during every off-season, including during the winter in which he plays for an indoor team.

Rowley has had a good season for the Beacons, scoring 12 goals and two assists in 10 games and is part of a broader base of young talent on the UMB squad. Without a doubt he will be an intricate part of the team’s future success.