66°

Calendar – 5/6/04

Thursday, May 6

Engineering Open House 8:30-9:45am, Science Center, 3rd Floor, Room 126. Second day of the Data Modeling using LabVIEW and Excel Project Presentations, by Engin 103 students. For more information, call Tomas Materdey at 617-287-6435 or email [email protected] .

Institute for Asian American Studies Research Fellow Presentation 1-3pm. Monica Chiu, Research Fellow at the Institute for Asian American Studies and Assistant Professor of English at University of New Hampshire will present her study, ” That was Then; This is Now: Lao American Youth Culture in a New Hamphire Seacoast High School.” Lunch will be provided if you RSVP by May 4. For more information, call 617-287-5650 or email [email protected] .

Water Watch General Meetings 2:30-3:30pm, Wheatley Hall, 4th Floor, Room 156. We meet to discuss upcoming events and projects we are working on such as: cleanups on the Charles and the Neponset rivers, education in K-12 classrooms, Water Watch website development, and other things related to pollution in our water ways. For more information, call Teresa D’Anna at 617-287-3866 or email [email protected] .

Graduate Student Assembly Meeting 3-4pm. The Graduate Student Assembly is dedicated to enhancing the academic and professional development of our graduate student community. Membership is open to all matriculated graduate students, who are invited to attend the meetings. For more information visit the GSA website at www.gsa.umb.edu or call 617-287-7975.

Critical & Creative Thinking Graduating Student Presentations 4:15 – 8:30 p.m., Wheatley Hall, 4th Floor, Grad Student Lounge. www.cct.umb.edu/openhouse04.html For more information, call peter taylor at 617-287-7636 or email [email protected] .

Friday, May 7

“The Power of NOW'”Brown Bag Luncheon Series Noon, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. Find the truth that is within you. Join with the Interfaith Catholic Chaplain for a deeper look at Exkhart Tolle’s “The Power of NOW.” For more information, call Maggie Cahill at 617-287-5839 or email [email protected] .

Fundamentals in Marina Management and Planning – EGS 478 1-3:30pm, McCormack Hall, UL, Marine Operations Boat Shop. Classes run Fridays, 1-3:30, March 26 – May 28. Register now and have the opportunity to take the EGS444 internship in the summer. This Independent Study Program is designed to prepare participants for a position at a marina or boatyard facility. The program emphasizes good management techniques, storm preparation considerations, government and environmental regulations, electrical and mechanical systems, as well as “hands-on” basic boating operations. 3 Credits. For more information, call Moni at 617-287-5404 or email [email protected] .

Biology Friday Seminar 2:30-4pm, Science Center, 1st Floor, Room 006. Dr. Sam Telford III from Tufts University will be presenting “Twenty Years of Hunting Emerging Diseases on the Nantucket Field Station.” Refreshments will be served. For more information, call Diana Ruddy at 617-287-6600 or email [email protected] .

Grand Opening of the Clark Taylor Center for Media, Arts and Technology 4:30-6pm, Wheatley Hall, 3rd Floor, Wit’s End Cafe Plaza. CPCS alumni, faculty,and staff as well as representatives of state and local government and community leaders in the field of technology will celebrate the Grand Opening of the Clark Taylor Center for Media, Arts & Technology . There will be a reception in the Wits End Plaza followed by remarks and the ribbon cutting ceremony. An interactive tour of the facility will complete the program. The center is a gift from Jeff Taylor, CEO of monster.com, to his father, Professor Clark Taylor, on his retirement from CPCS. For more information, call Suzanne Allmendinger at 617-287-7124 or email [email protected] .

UMB Talent Show 3: The Variety Extreme 6-9pm, Wheatley Hall, 1st Floor, Snowden. Suggested donation of $5 (all proceeds benefit the Yellow Brick Road Project, a home for battered women). Event features fashion show organized by Neidine Lynch, Hay Lady and Blues of On Thin Ice Record, Savin ill, September Twilight, Meet The Day, Steve Tyler impressionist Chuck Zeogas, numerous singers including the return of Elif Irtemcelik, The African Hut Club, wrestling show, world champion baton twirler, Tara Delmonico, poetry readers, and more. Located in the Snowden Auditorium 6-9, with an After Party 9-12 (free) featuring music and food. For more information, email Chuck at [email protected] .

UMass Boston Chamber Orchestra: Concerto Concert 8-10pm, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 15 St. Paul Street, Brookline (corner of St. paul and Aspinwal Streets). Jon Ceander Mitchell, conductor; with Priscilla Taylor, cello; and Grigoris Zamparas, piano. Performance includes Mozart’s Impresario Overture; Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 3; Schumann’s Cello Concerto; and the world premiere of a new performing edition of Beethoven’s Piano Concerto in E-Flat, WoO 4. Dr. Mitchell will present a pre-concert lecture at 7:15 PM. Reception to follow. Requested donation: $5.00 ($3.00 students/seniors) Children 4 years and under not admitted. No off-street parking available: patrons should take the MBTA Green Line “C” train to St. Paul Street. For more information, call Performing Arts Department at 617-287-5640.

Antigone by Jean Anouilh 8-10pm, McCormack Hall, 2nd Floor, McCormack Theatre. Directed by Daniel Gidron. Ticket prices: $10.00 ($7.00 students with valid UMB ID and seniors). Tickets available on a first-come, first-served basis on the date of performance. The McCormack Theatre Box Office opens 30-minutes prior to the start of the performance. Unauthorized use of cameras and other recording devices is strictly prohibited! Children under 4 years not admitted. Anyone requiring disability-related accommodations in order to fully participate in this event should contact Carol DeSouza at (617) 287-5166 or e-mail [email protected] no later than 2 weeks prior to the event. For more information, call Performing Arts Department at 617-287-5640.

Saturday, May 8

Men’s Baseball vs. Rhode Island College Noon-2pm. For more information, call 617-287-7800 or email [email protected].

UMB Jazz Band Spring Concert 7:30-9:30pm, Wheatley Hall, 1st Floor, Snowden Auditorium. UMB Jazz Band featuring Peter Janson, Director. Requested Donation: $5.00 ($3.00 students/seniors). Reception to follow. For more information, call Performing Arts Department at 617-287-5640.

Monday, May 10

Mother’s Day Luncheon Noon-2:30pm. All mothers at UMB (students, faculty, and staff) are invited to our Mother’s Day celebration. Mothers can bring one guest and childcare will be provided. Space is limited so RSVP as soon as possible to [email protected]. Please include: your name, email address, phone number, ages of children, and number of adults attending. For more information, call 617-287-7986 or email [email protected].

Gospel Choir Club Rehearsals 2:30-3:30pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. The UMass Gospel Choir Club is open to students and members of the UMB community who like Gospel and want to sing together. Prior experience singing Gospel is not required. For more information, call Rev. Adrienne Berry-Burton at 617-287- 5838.

Student Vocal Recital 7-9pm, McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Interfaith Chapel. A vocal recital featuring students of Marilyn Bulli, Suzanne Ehly and David Giessow. The event is free and open to the University Community. Use of cameras and other recording devices prohibited. Small children and infants will not be admitted.

Interfaith Baccalaureate Service 7pm, Graduating Seniors, join with Chancellor Gora, Student Affairs Vice Chancellor Motley, and Interfaith Campus Ministry to commemorate this significant time in your life. For more information, call Maggie Cahill at 617-287-5839.

Tuesday, May 11

Fourth Annual Senior Lunch 11:30am-1pm, In honor of the graduating Class of 2004. For more information, call Diane Richardson at 617-287-5330 or email [email protected].

Senior Lunch 11:30am-1pm, The Alumni Association of the University of Massachusetts Boston cordially invites graduating seniors to the Fourth Annual Senior Lunch to Honor the Graduating Class of 2004. For more information, call Christina Dunn at 617-287-5330 or email [email protected].

CPCS Faculty Out in the World: Native American Issues in Massachusetts 5-6pm, Wheatley Hall, 4th Floor, CPCS Plaza. CPCS Professor Ann Withorn, Jim Peters, and Anne Foxx will talk about Native American issues in Massachusetts and the work they are doing to develop an Institute for Native American Studies at UMASS Boston. For more information, call Andrea Wight at 617-287-7381 or email [email protected].

Senior Student Recital: Justin Kleya, Bass Guitar 8-9:30pm, Wheatley Hall, 1st Floor, Snowden Auditorium. Justin Kleya and friends will perform an eclectic blend of popular music and jazz. The event is free and open to the University Community. Free shuttle bus service to and from the UMass Boston Campus and JFK/UMass Station until 11:15 PM. For more information, call Mark Vaz, Performing Arts Department at 617-287-5640.

Wednesday, May 12

College of Management Distinguished Executive Luncheon 11:30am-1:30pm, The Library, The Hampshire House 84 Beacon Street Boston. CM Distinguished Executive for 2004, Thomas May, Chairman, President & CEO, NSTAR. Reservations and Tickets Required. RSVP before May 7, 2004. Individual tickets are $60.00. For more information, call Mary Ann Machanic at 617-287-7734 or email [email protected].

Recovery Meetings for Sober Alcoholics & Addicts or those looking for a new way of life. 2-3pm, Wheatley Hall, 4th Floor, Room 169. Meetings open for all students, professors, & employees. Refreshments will be served. For more information, call Beth at 617-287-7981.

Spring 2004 Music Series 2:30-4pm, Plaza Level between Campus Center and Science Bldg. Put the ZING in your SPRING! Second installment of free concert series welcomes Inca Son: Music & Dance of the Andes. Come enjoy the exotic sounds and sights! (Rain location Student Dining, 1st floor Campus Center) For more information, call Community Relations at 617-287-5310 or email [email protected].

Thursday, May 13

Pilates at the Beacon Fitness Center11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., McCormack Hall, 1st Floor, Beacon Fitness Center. Traditional Pilates class taught by certified instructor, Jo Desmond. Open to all members. For more information, call Chris Fitzgerald at 617-287-6788 or email [email protected].

Blue Balloon Brown Bag Lunch Group 12:30 – 1:30 p.m., McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Cafeteria. Faculty who are using Prometheus to enhance their face-to-face class, teaching a class online or just interested in learning more about Prometheus are invited to join other faculty members on the second Thursday of each month from February through May. Bring your lunch and look for the blue balloon! For more information, call Eileen McMahon at 617-287-3998 or email [email protected].

Water Watch General Meetings 2:30 – 3:30 p.m., Wheatley Hall, 4th Floor, Room 156. We meet to discuss upcoming events and projects we are working on such as: cleanups on the Charles and the Neponset rivers, education in K-12 classrooms, Water Watch website development, and other things related to pollution in our water ways. For more information, call Teresa D’Anna at 617-287-3866 or email [email protected].