66°

GSA News – 2/5/04

First GSA Meeting

The Graduate Student Assembly will be holding its first meeting of the Spring Semester on Thursday, February 5 at 3pm in the 4th Floor Wheatley Lounge. The GSA maintains an open door policy and strongly encourages any graduate students interested in joining to attend.

Programs and Grants

The Graduate Student Assembly provides programs and services pertaining to our mission of enhancing the academic and professional development of our graduate student community here at UMass Boston. Programs include hosting workshops during the annual Graduate Academic Conference and providing a Distinguished Speaker Series during Spring Semester. The GSA also provides several funding opportunities for graduate students including the Spayne and Bollinger grants to support Masters and Doctoral research, Professional Development Grants to provide opportunities to attend academic conferences, and Educational Support Grants to recognize academic achievement. To find out more about how to take advantages of GSA sponsored programs log onto our website at http://www.gsa.umb.edu/.

GSA Voter Registration Drive

The GSA sponsored voter registration drive was a great success. Over 200 UMB community members registered to vote in the March Primaries and the November Presidential Election. If you have not registered to vote and would like to find out how, log onto www.state.ma.us/sec/ele or call 1-800-462-VOTE.

GSA would like to recognize the GSA President, Caroline Coscia for her initiative and hard work in making the voter registration drive such a success.

Deadline for Graduate Declaration Forms

Graduate students who intend to graduate in June 2004 must submit a Graduate Declaration Form to the Office of the Registrar by February 13, 2004. For more information check the Registrar’s website at www.registrar.umb.edu.

Museum of Fine Arts -Free for UMB Students

Last semester, GSA members appropriated funds so that the Undergraduate Student Senate can purchase a university wide membership to the MFA. This membership entitles all UMB students free admission to museum exhibits.