66°

Beacons Bash Bantams

The UMass Boston women’s ice hockey team ended a four game winless streak with a 6-3 win on the road over Trinity College. The victory improved the team’s record to 7-8-1 in the ECAC East. The Beacons remain in seventh place, one position out of postseason play.

It was Molly Norton, the 5’4″ sophomore from Milton, Massachusetts, who was the star of this contest. Norton recorded her first career hat trick and had a total of four points in the game to lead the Beacons.

January had been particularly tough for the Beacons, as the team managed only a 2-6-1 record after New Year’s. The Clark Athletic Center, however, will host six of the team’s final seven games. Some home cooking is in order if the team wishes to play beyond February 24, which marks the end of the regular season.

Even though the Bantams of Trinity do not have a boastful record at 2-13, they have been competitive in the majority of their games. Still, if there was team out there that gave the Beacons a chance to end their winless skid, against it was Trinity.

In addition to Norton’s stellar play, Andrea Ciarletta notched her 20th goal of the year. The freshman from Watertown continues to impress the college hockey world as she leads all ECAC East goal scorers. Ciarletta also had an assist in the game.

Leanne Wancheck and Katelyn Averill each had a goal. Lancheck’s goal was her first of the year. Goaltender Shannon Palmer came up with 28 saves for third victory of the year.

This weekend will prove crucial for the Beacons who play a pair of home games against Saint Michael’s, first on Friday, February 6 at 7pm and then the following day at 3pm. Saint Michael’s current record stands at 2-15-1.