63°

GSA News 11.11.04

Become a Member!The Graduate Student Assembly is the voice of graduate students at UMass Boston. Do you have changes you’d like to see implemented within the University? Do you feel as if your voice never gets heard? Would you like the opportunity to meet other graduate students here on campus? Join the GSA and make sure you and your program are represented! We are always looking for new members! Our next meeting will be held on Thursday, November 18 at 3:45 p.m. in the Student Life Conference Room. All graduate students are invited to attend!

Spayne and Bollinger Grant DeadlinesAre you wondering how you are going to fund your dissertation or thesis? Consider applying for the Spayne Master’s Thesis or Bollinger Doctoral Thesis Award. Each program offers two grants of up to $1000 each for doctoral and master’s candidates engaged in thesis research. The application deadline for this fall’s grants will be Wednesday, December 1 at 5:00 p.m. More information and applications may be found on our website.

Graduate Students and the Athletics OfficeThe GSA would like to thank Athletics Director, Patrick T. Burns for giving us a tour of the UMass Athletics Facilities at our November 4 meeting. We look forward to taking advantage of the opportunities the Department of Athletics has to offer and hope to coordinate events with the Athletics Department in the near future!

Environmental Earth and Ocean Sciences (EEOS) Department NewsThe EEOS Department would like to announce that Steve Rudnick, Ph.D., will be giving a presentation, titled, “Sustainability Objectives and Metrics,” on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 at 2:30 p.m. in the small Science Building auditorium (S/1/006). All are welcome to attend, and refreshments will be served.

The EEOS Department is also pleased to announce that Ray Siegener will present and defend his dissertation titled The Identification and Distribution of Environmental Endocrine Disruptors in Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 at 1:30 p.m. in the Provost’s Conference Room (Healey Library, eighth Floor). Congratulations and good luck to Ray Siegener!

Note from the Graduate Sociology Student AssociationThe Graduate Sociology Student Association recently held a fundraiser for the Long Island Shelter. The GSA is pleased to have been able to donate candy to give away at the drawing tables. The Graduate Sociology Student Association asked us to include a ‘thank you’ in this article to all who contributed and made this charity event a success!

RPA InfoDoes your RPA have an event or information that it would like to share with other students? Email the GSA and we may be able to include it in the GSA News!

Don’t forget! Each RPA has been given a mailbox in the Student Life Office in the Campus Center. Make sure you check your group’s mailbox to keep up on what is going on with other groups and around the University. Also remember that the GSA has desk and cabinet space available for use by RPAs. Email the GSA if your group would like to use this space for meetings or business!

Professional Development GrantsAre you traveling to a professional conference this semester? The GSA administers the Professional Development Grant (PDG) program to assist graduate students with the economic burden of traveling to, and participating in, professional conferences and meetings. Grants of up to $400 are available to reimburse students presenting papers or posters, and grants of up to $300 are available for students attending conferences. Please refer to our website for application materials and guidelines. Note that all application materials must be submitted at least 30 days prior to travel to be eligible for review. Looking for us?The GSA office is located on the third floor of the Campus Center, in room 3404. For applications, forms, or more information on any of our programs, please visit our website at www.gsa.umb.edu.