66°

Online Extra: The Two Ads

Below is the College of Public and Community Service’s draft of an ad looking for a new dean, as is the final draft sent out by the Provost’s Office to the Chronicle of Higher Education on October 15.

CPCS DRAFT

University of Massachusetts Boston Dean of the College of Public and Community Service

The University of Massachusetts Boston invites applications and nominations for dean of the College of Public and Community Service (CPCS). The dean serves as the college’s chief academic officer and reports to the provost and senior vice chancellor for academic affairs. UMass Boston is a Carnegie classified Intensive Research University located in one of the most diverse and intellectually rich cities of the United States. It is a public university with some 800 full-time faculty, over 150 academic programs, and 13,000 culturally diverse students working toward baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral degrees.

The College of Public and Community Service is one of seven colleges within UMass Boston. CPCS was founded in 1972 to extend the land grant mission of the University by focusing on public and community service in urban areas and by delivering an interdisciplinary curriculum that combines liberal arts, social sciences, and professional education through a competency-based and problem oriented educational model. The college has completed a substantial curriculum revision process in the last few years, which has included broad assessment and revision of its general education and majors, the development of two new majors in Community Media and Technology and Community Studies, and the reshaping of its graduate programs in Human Services and Dispute Resolution. The success of this process has been examined in the recent AQUAD evaluations of the undergraduate curriculum and the Dispute Resolution program. These evaluations have also suggested the future direction and agenda which the college should pursue.

The college seeks a dean who will bring the experience, commitment and leadership necessary to lead the college in implementing, assessing and refining this curriculum. The college seeks candidates who are committed and experienced academic leaders, and committed to the urban mission of the college, and are fundamentally committed to and experienced with competency-based education for adult learners. The College seeks an experienced educator who can help solidify the college’s identity and enhance its prominence as a leader in education for social change and who will assist the college in contributing to the University of Massachusetts-Boston campus in its efforts to establish a reputation for excellence within urban public higher education.

Applicants for the position should have relevant experience in curriculum design and innovative pedagogy in competency-based learning. Candidates should have considerable administrative experience and a demonstrated track record of building accountable administrative systems. Candidates should bring a personal commitment to educating racially and culturally diverse student bodies and to managing faculty, staff and administration in a culturally and racially diverse setting. The best candidates will have experience working closely with community based organizations and institutions, as well as with government leaders. All candidates should have an earned doctorate or J.D. and a record of research, creative or professional activity, and service or a strong record of academic administration appropriate to the pedagogy and mission of the college.

Applications received by December 15, 2004 will receive immediate consideration. However, the position will remain open until filled. Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and names, addresses, and telephone numbers of four references to: Office of the Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125-3393, Attention: Chair, Search Committee for a Dean of the College of Public and Community Service. UMass Boston is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, Title IX employer and strongly encourages women, members of all ethnic groups, and people with disabilities to apply.

PROVOST’S OFFICE VERSION AND FINAL DRAFT

The University of Massachusetts Boston invites applications and nominations for dean of the College of Public and Community Service (CPCS). The dean serves as the college’s chief academic officer and reports to the provost and senior vice chancellor for academic affairs. UMass Boston is a Carnegie classified Intensive Research University located in one of the most diverse and intellectually rich cities of the United States. It is a public university with some 800 full-time faculty, over 150 academic programs, and over 12,000 culturally diverse students working toward baccalaureate, master, and doctoral degrees.

One of the seven colleges within UMass Boston, CPCS prides itself in forging deep links with the Greater Boston community, in its focus on non-traditional students, and in its largely competencybased education. With new undergraduate majors in Community Studies as well as Community Media and Technology, as well as reshaped graduate programs in Human Services and Dispute Resolution, the college seeks a leader who will revitalize its focus, sharpen its links to the community, strengthen intercollegiate collaboration within UMass Boston, and mobilize the faculty into a new era of teaching excellence, strong community-based collaboration, and robust first-class research.

Applicants for this position must possess: an earned doctorate (or other terminal degree) in an appropriate discipline; an outstanding record of teaching, scholarship, and service worthy of being granted tenure in an academic department; excellent leadership and communication skills; experience in working with community-based organizations; and a commitment to academic excellence, diversity and service. In addition, applicants must demonstrate a commitment to interdisciplinary and intercollegiate collaboration and an ability to build mutually supportive ties and strong research programs within the college and with external stakeholders within local, national, and international communities.

The dean has responsibility for all aspects of curriculum planning and development, faculty and staff hiring, development and evaluation, as well as budget. He/she will be expected to help marshal the vibrancy and creative energies of the faculty, provide visionary leadership, and offer specific strategic steps necessary to lead the college and its racially and culturally diverse students and faculty to national prominence. The salary for this position is competitive, commensurate with experience and qualifications.

Applications received by November 15, 2004 will receive immediate consideration. However, the position will remain opened until filled. Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and names, addresses, and telephone numbers of four references to: Office of the Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125-3393, Attention: Chair, Search Committee for a Dean of the College of Public and Community Service.

UMass Boston is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, Title IX employer and strongly encourages women, members of all ethnic groups, and people with disabilities to apply.

www.umb.edu

sources: UMB Human Resources, CPCS