63°

GSA News

The Graduate Student Assembly is the voice of graduate students at UMass Boston. We are always looking for new members! Make sure that your voice is heard and your graduate program is represented! We will be holding an informational Open House on Thursday, September 16 at 3:00 p.m. in the Student Life Conference Room on the third floor of the Campus Center. If you can’t make it, check out our website for future meeting dates.

Item: The deadline for fall activation for Recognized Professional Associations (RPAs) is Thursday, September 16 at 5:00 p.m. The President and Treasurer of each RPA must attend Officer Training in order for their RPA to be activated. See our website or the GSA ad in this week’s Mass Media for training dates and times.

Item: Have you stopped by the Student Life Counter to pick up your Student ID sticker yet? The Student Life Office has many programs and discounts available to graduate students! Discount movie passes, and passes for both the Museum of Science and the Aquarium can be purchased at Student Life with your Student ID. You can also get into the Museum of Fine Arts and the JFK Library for free with your current UMass Boston Student ID.

Item: Are you an undergraduate or master’s student planning on applying for a doctoral program in a humanities field next year? If so, you may be interested in applying for the Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship in Humanistic Studies. This award, given by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, will provide approximately 85 first-year doctoral students with full tuition, fees, and a living stipend. For information and application materials, check out their website at www.woodrow.org/mellon.

Item: Are you traveling to a professional conference this semester? The GSA administers the Professional Development Grant (PDG) program to assist graduate students with the economic burden of traveling to, and participating in, professional conferences and meetings. Grants of up to $400 are available to reimburse students presenting papers or posters, and grants of up to $300 are available for students attending conferences.

Item: In response to last year’s budget shortages, the GSA has changed and improved some aspects of the PDG application process. Please refer to our website for application materials and guidelines. Note that all application materials must be submitted at least 30 days prior to travel to be eligible for review.

The GSA office is located on the third floor of the Campus Center, in room 3404. For applications, forms, or more information on any of our programs, please visit our website at www.gsa.umb.edu.