66°

Anthem Sung for First Time

Played by the University Brass Ensemble, UMass Boston’s school anthem was sung for the first time at Commencement 2004.

Created by an ad hoc Faculty Council group and composed of Lisa Cheney (Performing Arts), Larry Kaye (Philosophy), Thomas O’Grady (English), Mary Oleskiewicz (Music), and Diane Richardson (Alumni Relations), its melody is taken from an old Irish song that was previously used by State Teachers College before it was Boston State College, which merged with UMass Boston in the 1980s.

The ad hoc group was created at November’s Faculty Council meeting, to the delight of many. “Can it be a rap?” Professor Louis Aponte-Pares playfully requested.

“It has to be one MacKenzie can sing,” quipped Provost Paul Fonteyn, referring to then-Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance David MacKenzie, who has since left to become head of the UMass Building Authority.

The Alma Mater: To UMass Boston

We beheld, UMass Boston, a torch in your hand,Saw a crown on your brow, heard your voice of commandThat we follow the lead of your bold guiding lightToward knowledge and wisdom and fervor for right…Toward knowledge and wisdom and fervor for right.

How that glow has burned bright through the passage of yearsAs our dreams dispelled doubts and our hopes assuaged fears,As our eyes watched that gleam with conviction and trust,And we learned to place faith in the good and the just…And we learned to place faith in the good and the just.

May that torch never dim as life beckons us forth -May it shine like a jewel of fathomless worth.Like tall ships setting sail may we steer evermoreBy that beacon of beauty and truth on the shore…By that beacon of beauty and truth on the shore

source: Commencement Booklet