66°

Student Senate News 12.9.04

Student Senate NewsBy Arthur Guray

The Undergraduate Student Senate met on Wednesday, December 1, 2004, in the Student Life Conference Room.

Delinquent Club and Center Accounts FrozenUpon recommendation from the Student Events and Organizations Committee, the Senate unanimously moved to freeze the accounts of student clubs and centers which have received money from the Senate for events, held the events, but failed to complete event reports documenting actual expenditures. The accounts will remain frozen, prohibiting the affected clubs and centers from receiving or spending any monies, until the event reports are completed. The affected student organizations and related events are: The Vietnamese Student Association for an Open House on October 8, Casa Latina for a Latino Heritage Month event on October 14 and a multicultural festival on October 26, the Native American Student Society for a Powwow on October 27, the Cape Verdean Club for a Halloween Party on October 29, the Talent Show Club for the November 5 Talent Show, and the Pakistani Student Association for PSA Night on November 20.

Club and Center Funding Requests ApprovedAt the recommendation of the Student Events and Organizations Committee, the Senate approved $2,105 in funding requests.

The Chemistry Club received $355 for a series of study group meetings, open to all students.

The Ski Club received $1,750 to subsidize a ski trip to Sunday River January 4-6. The Senate’s subsidy lowers the per-student cost for the trip from $120 to $50.

B&F Committee Investigates Parking FeesBudget and Finance Committee Vice-Chair reported that she met with Steven Martinson, Deputy Director of Auxiliary Services, to discuss parking rates. Martinson estimates that the University generates approximately $3.4 million annually from parking fees; $2 million is used to pay for shuttle bus service, and the rest is used for paying staff. Martinson estimates a $50,000 surplus this year. Sams reported she will continue to investigate the use and setting of parking fees. On November 30, Parking and Transportation announced it will raise parking fees from $6 daily to $7 daily beginning early 2005.

CCA Receives Promotion FundingCampus and Community Affairs Chair Hatim Jean-Louis announced that CCA received $2,000 in funding for Senate promotion activities. Jean-Louis also reported meeting with Student Senator Arthur Guray to discuss the creation of a Public Liaison position within the Senate.

SEOC to Create Preferred Vendor List, Voices Concerns Over RSO AdvisingStudent Events and Organizations Committee Chair Matthew Landry announced that SEOC will be creating a preferred vendor list for Recognized Student Organizations. Landry also reported that he has met with Student Life officials to discuss concerns from the committee about inadequate oversight from RSO Advisors. The next full Senate meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 15, at 2:30 p.m.