66°

Students with Disabilities Center Profile

Disabilities Center Coordinator Chris
Ayesha Kazmi
Disabilities Center Coordinator Chris

“We’re here to raise awareness of issues that concern students with disabilities,” according to the Coordinator of the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD), Chris. Some of the ways that these issues are addressed is through a series of workshops that help better educate the UMB community regarding those issues.

Aside from the workshop series, past events that the center has sponsored are the Open House, which took place earlier in the semester; events that feature guest speakers discussing different topics, which included a Confidentiality workshop that was held on December 2, 2004, and a Sensitivity Awareness Campaign; and holiday parties and events that center around “arts and entertainment,” according to Chris, who has been the Coordinator since October. “The center is a nice place for students to hang out. Everyone is welcome.”

When asked about the move into the new center, Chris has no qualms. “The move was fine. It tends to get a little noisy, but that isn’t a major issue.” Chris considers the center as more of a “drop-in center.” No membership is required. Any student can come in and use the resources that the center offers. When asked what those resources were, Chris stated that “based on what the students need, we try to accommodate them. If we can’t help them, we try to point them in the right direction. Even if it’s just providing a phone number of an office on campus.”

Some upcoming events that the CSD has lined up are an Open House on December 10, from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., and a holiday party. Plus, during the final exam period, the CSD will be sponsoring “quiet hours” between 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for students who want to come into the center for quiet study time.

The Center for Students with Disabilities is located on the Campus Center third floor, in room 3001, and is open Monday through Thursday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and on Fridays 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Either the Coordinator or the Staff Assistant, Florence Dossous, can be found in the center between those hours.