66°

Active Center for Students with Disabilities

It’s almost the end of the semester, but not yet, and events by high-spirited students are still going on in the UMass campus. Here was one that many people enjoyed and you shouldn’t have missed. On Friday, December 10, a Holiday Party was held by Center of Students with Disabilities (CSD) at the Campus Center, thirdrd floor, room 3001, at the center’s location.

This Holiday Party is an annual center event that strives to inform students about what they are about and where they are located, especially after having moved to the Campus Center. At the party, a variety of food and drinks were served. Starting at twelve o’clock, the room was immediately filled with more than 30 of students from all over campus. Wonderfully served were vegetable wraps, hamburgers, salads, chips, small sweets, and drinks, ranging from hot chocolate to iced cold coke. “There were students from all other centers,” commented Chris, a coordinator of the center. “This annual party has been so successful [in the past].” This time was no exception. Not only did it connect students with the center, but it also assisted members of other centers in getting to know each other. “Even students working on the second floor came up,” smiles Chris, surprised. Chris is very proud of the center, for it has served the students in many ways during this semester, like how they offer a comfortable space for students to come by, stay for a while, talk and study. The center is equipped with a computer, desks and chairs. Unlike a library where even a turn of page could be a disturbing noise, the center creates the atmosphere that is more like the one of home or a cozy working place where co-workers can easily ask for help. The flow of students coming by the center never stopped. Some were those who came late or came back again expecting to have one more bite of the delicious line-ups, and others were people who just came by to talk with members of the center as they always have. Since it was almost the end of semester, some came to talk about their plans during the winter break and say goodbye to people in the center. Whether there is a party or not, the center is always a place for them to stop by and set their feelings all right again. Recalling events that the Center for Students with Disabilities has held this semester, Chris seemed satisfied with them. “This semester we did a lot of events. Workshop, conference, invited quest speakers and this holiday party,” says Chris. “People became more aware of the center. We also had interviews and a center profile.” Center for Students with Disabilities are planning to hold events for the next semester as well, and always welcomes any student to drop by their place. For any question, send an e-mail to [email protected]. Chris will be glad to answer it.