79°

Star Market offers free flu vaccines in exchange for coupons on groceries

Star+Market+at+night+as+students+enter+to+grab+some+late-night+groceries.+Photo+by+Colin+Tsuboi%2F+Mass+Media+Staff.+
Colin Tsuboi
Star Market at night as students enter to grab some late-night groceries. Photo by Colin Tsuboi/ Mass Media Staff.

Robert Pomales, the Executive Director of University Health Services, announced that UMass Boston has partnered with Star Market to offer free vaccines to all students, staff and faculty. These vaccines include the seasonal influenza vaccine and an up-to-date COVID-19 vaccine. [1]

In an email to the student body, Pomales stated: “University Health Services, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and the Centers for Disease Control recommend a yearly flu vaccine and an up-to-date COVID vaccine as an important step in protecting yourself against the flu virus and Coronavirus.” [1]

Free vaccines on campus are available in the Campus Center, on the Upper Level in the main lobby. The vaccine clinics are scheduled to be open for Wednesday, Oct. 11, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., and Monday, Oct. 23, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. [1]

Pomales has also stated that additional dates for vaccine clinics are being arranged, with notifications containing specific dates, times and locations set to be released to the student body in the coming weeks. This proactive approach ensures that all members of the university community have ample opportunities to receive vaccines at their convenience. [1]

Not only is Star Market partnering with UMass Boston to provide free vaccines, but you can go to Star Market directly to book a free vaccine appointment and get discounts for groceries in the process. “We make it easy to help protect your family during flu season. Schedule your vaccine or stop by today, walk-ins welcome! For added convenience, select locations offer drive-up flu clinics,” states Star Market’s website. [2]

What makes this initiative even more appealing is the added incentive from Star Market. Beyond the convenience of getting vaccinated on campus, students and staff members can directly book free vaccine appointments at their nearest Star Market locations. Individuals receiving their influenza vaccines through Star Market will be rewarded with a coupon that entitles them to a ten percent discount on their grocery purchases. [2]

Those who are looking to receive an influenza vaccine can get one in a few different ways. Star Market pharmacies offer a variety of choices, including walk-in appointments, scheduled appointments, and even the added convenience of drive-up clinics at select locations. For those who require additional vaccinations, such as the RSV vaccine, it’s worth noting that these can be administered along with the influenza or COVID-19 vaccine. [2]

Commonly asked questions about the influenza vaccine and influenza season have been answered on Star Market’s website. “In the United States, flu season usually occurs in the fall and winter. While influenza viruses spread year-round, flu activity often begins to increase in October. Most of the time, flu activity peaks between December and February according to the CDC.” [2]

“Flu shots are made with either inactivated (killed) viruses, or with only a single protein from the flu virus. The CDC says flu vaccines cannot cause flu illness,” states Star Market’s website. “The body’s immunity to influenza viruses (acquired either through natural infection or vaccination) declines over time. According to the CDC, getting vaccinated each year provides the best protection against flu throughout flu season.” [2]

Different types of influenza vaccines are recommended for use in the United States, as well as different doses. For ages 18 and older, the CDC recommends the Quadrivalent Recombinant Flu Vaccine, which protects against four different strains of influenza. For ages 65 and older, the CDC recommends the Flu Vaccine for 65+, which is only licensed in high-dose, inactivated influenza vaccines and holds a stronger immune response. [2]

For those who wish to schedule an appointment through UMass Boston, an application can be filled out at https://www.starmarket.com/vaccinations/group-clinic/UMBoston. For those who wish to schedule an appointment through Star Market directly, an application can be filled out at https://www.starmarket.com/vaccinations/home. [2]

Sources:

1. Robert Pomales Email
  2. Star Market Website https://www.starmarket.com/pharmacy/vaccines-and-immunizations/flu-shot.html
Samantha Beady, News Editor
Colin Tsuboi, Photographer