77°

Break a leg, Beacons! Performances abound at UMass Boston this fall

UMass Boston is brimming with talent, and that’s most visible in the Performing Arts Department. The student body has hundreds of skilled musicians and actors, and live performances are essential for artistic students to express themselves and show off their talents. Many shows are happening this semester, so here’s a recap; there’s a little something for everyone!

A variety of UMass Boston performers are preparing for a fall showcase this month, organized by professor David Patterson. Patterson has been teaching at UMass Boston since 1972, and he has no plans to retire. However, he has stated that this will be the final showcase of his own pieces. 

The show includes a performance from the UMass Boston Chamber Singers under the direction of David Giessow, performing songs such as “The Opossum” and “Isle of Hope,” along with various alumni and guests performing individual acts. The event will be at the Recital Hall on Friday, Oct. 20 at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free, and students can RSVP online on the UMBeInvolved website. (1)

The Theater Arts Department is putting on their fall mainstage production next month. The play “Rhinoceros,” written by Eugene Ionesco and translated by Derek Prouse, is set in a surreal world where a small town deals with some spiky conflict: Ordinary people are turning into rhinoceroses. Chaos descends, and the play takes the opportunity to dive into hot topics like authoritarianism and the dangers of always going with the crowd. 

Director Robert Lublin has led the promotional material with one question: “How do you stay sane when the world’s gone batshit crazy?” Students can come see the University Hall Theatre shine like the sun in the desert throughout early November. 

Dates to see this production include Nov. 7 to 9, and Nov. 15 to 17 at 7:30 p.m., along with a matinee at 2 p.m. on Nov. 18. Tickets, which are now on sale at UMBeTickets, (2) are $12 for students and staff and $15 for the general public. 

The UMass Boston Orchestra will be performing their fall showcase, “For the Times,” on Nov. 17 at 7:30 p.m. at the Recital Hall. The orchestra is a unique ensemble of students, staff and musicians from the Greater Boston area. 

Attendees can look forward to hearing pieces from Mozart, Vivaldi and Dvorak, with performances from cello soloists Joelle Mae Dela Cruz from the class of 2026 and Soonbee Kwon from the class of 2025. Conductor Sommer Forrester will certainly deliver a great show with beautiful instrumentalists. Tickets are currently available online at UMBeTickets at a rate of $7 for faculty and staff and $12 for the general public. 

The UMass Boston Jazz Ensembles will be performing their show “Jazz! Live!” for two nights, Dec. 1 and Dec. 2, at 7:30 p.m. at the Recital Hall. The performance will consist of improvisational jazz, along with many classics that jazz fans will recognize–but with a modern twist. 

Students and staff can see them perform under the direction of Peter Janson and Ervin Dhimo for only $7, while tickets are $12 for the general public. Tickets are now on sale on the UMBeTickets website. It’s their only performance of the semester, so come see the fabulous repertoire they’ve been building!

With so many opportunities approaching, students should also know about the wide variety of options available for them in the Performing Arts Department. Ensembles are typically open to all students, regardless of their major, and can usually be taken as credit classes. The school also offers applied music lessons, in which students can have 12 hour-long individual lessons with an instructor. 

Lessons are available for many different instruments and can be utilized by students who have never played before or those who have been playing for years. The Theater Arts Department is also open to actors and non-actors; the backstage crew is essential for any good performance. 

Whether you’re performing, interested in performing or simply sitting in the audience, the UMass Boston Performing Arts Department is always worth a look.

1. umb.campuslabs.com/engage. 
  2. umb.universitytickets.com