61°

November brings a plethora of alternative concerts to Boston

Concert at Big Night Live in Boston. Photo by Olivia Reid / Photography Editor.

The fall concert season is a highly anticipated time for fans of all musical genres, and the City of Boston is a destination that most artists don’t want to miss out on. November is a month that is jam-packed—no pun intended—with fun live events, especially for rock and metal fans. Here are a few of the most exciting shows to check out this season. 

The 1975 is a pop-rock group formed in England. Their music is considered to be highly ambitious and emotional, and they have been at the forefront of the pop-rock genre for about two decades. The group’s lead, Matty Healy, may be more recognizable than the band itself—thanks to Healy’s month-long fling with Taylor Swift and allegations of sexism and racism—but that doesn’t discount the impact that the group has had. 

The 1975 have arguably invented a genre of their own, and their popularity cannot be understated. They mix alternative-rock, pop and electronic music influences into their own poetic voice, and have garnered hundreds of thousands of fans worldwide. The band will be playing a show at TD Garden Sunday, Nov. 12 at 7:30 p.m.

Tool is a band that needs no introduction. For the past thirty years, the band has been channeling the spirit of alternative metal and progressive rock to create music that is both visually and auditorily stunning. Their music videos are innovative yet few and far between, with only eight being released throughout the band’s entire career. This scarcity, though, only allows for more artistry and talent to be portrayed. 

Tool’s live performances are just as artful as their music videos, with massive light shows and visuals that make them more theatrical than just musical. Many of the lights are focused away from the band members, allowing audiences to enjoy the art that is in front of them instead of the members themselves. Tool is not a band to be missed, so go see them perform at TD Garden Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 7:30 p.m.

Pierce the Veil is a very recognizable name in the emo-music scene. The band has contributed massively to the experimental screamo genre, a type of aggressive music known for its dissonance and screaming vocals. Pierce the Veil arguably has the widest reach of all screamo bands, with multiple wide-reaching tracks and frequent appearances at Warped Tour, a popular traveling festival during the early 2010s. With songs such as “Bulls in the Bronx,” the band has invented a unique blend of typical emo-rock and Latin influence.

After years on hiatus, Pierce the Veil is making a return to the musical and touring scenes. They will be performing at the MGM Music Hall at Fenway on Tuesday, Nov. 21 at 5:30 p.m. 

For those who are willing to travel about an hour outside the city, consider the Hollywood Undead show in Worcester. Hollywood Undead is a nu-metal rap group that draws influences from a large variety of artists. It’s hard to pinpoint the specific genre that they are going for, but one thing everyone will agree on is that their sound is extremely unique. 

They are most known for their songs “Everywhere I Go” and “Bullet,” both of which mix elements of rap, pop and rock. Each member uses a unique pseudonym, and they have only recently started to show their true faces; for much of their earlier career, they used masks to add to their eerie aesthetic. The band is touring this fall with Tech N9ne, a rapper who has collaborated with them in the past, and they will be hitting many spots in North America. The Worcester show will be at the Palladium venue on Thursday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. 

November is a perfect month for concerts, as they’re a great way to alleviate the stress of midterms and prepare for the heavy winter that is to come. No matter the genre, everyone can benefit from a good concert from their favorite artists, so be sure to keep up to date!