63°

The literary escape: What students are reading

Colin Tsuboi
A student reads “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley in the Campus Center. Photo by Colin Tsuboi / Mass Media Staff.

Books have been a source of entertainment for centuries, and they are still as relevant today as they were in the 18th century. Students everywhere use reading as a distraction from their studies. Here are some titles that UMass Boston students are currently reading.

Skylar Bowman, managing editor for The Mass Media, is currently reading the “Crave” series by Tracy Wolff. In a world of fantasy and monsters, its main character, Grace, is lured into a romance with a vampire. Bowman describes it as an easy read with an interesting plot that’s a fun way to distract her from her studies. It’s a fantasy romance that any student could get lost in.

Another UMass Boston student said they are reading “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho. “The Alchemist” has long been heralded as a classic among literary critics everywhere. It follows a tale of self-discovery and listening to your heart, and contains—as few modern books do—eternal wisdom and the importance of following your dreams. This book is certain to lift any low spirits brought on by midterms. 

“Bunny” by Mona Awad was recommended by Skylar Robles. In an ever-so-selective MFA program at Warren University, main character Samantha Heather Mackey is lured into a cliquey, rich group whose members refer to each other as “bunny.” While joining this mysterious group, she ditches everything she claims to be. Any fan of “Mean Girls” and horror should add this one to their bookshelf. 

Chidinma Amogu is currently reading “Mistborn: The Final Empire” by Brandon Sanderson. Fantastical martial arts and political turmoil bring this story to life. The enslaved Skaa finally attempt to break free after millennia of an overbearing and terrorizing ruler. This grocery-store-paperback is surely a diamond in the rough.

“Gay Girls Good God” is the next recommended title on the list. Author Jackie Hill Perry describes her own tale of coming to terms with her sexuality and gender, while hearing the public discourse surrounding her queerness. She later turns to God to help her on her journey. This title is informative and revealing to those in the queer community and not.

Nursing student Emily Walsh is reading “The Jasad Heir” by Sara Hashem. This novel has seen recent success on social media platforms like TikTok. After the fall of her kingdom, Sylvia is forced by society to hide her magical powers. Then a new prince from a faraway land gets a little too close for comfort. If enemies-to-lovers is your favorite book trope, be sure to pick this one up.

Brooke Vieira is currently reading a rom-com titled “Better Than the Movies” by Lynn Painter. The story follows a girl on her journey to date her dream guy with the help of her guy best friend. Little does she know that some strings are going to be pulled, but not in the way she thinks. This book follows the current trend in romance novels with colorful, cartoon-style illustrated covers, and features witty banter and tension-filled scenes. 

Molly Britton is reading “Circe” by Madeline Miller. Miller is most popularly known for “The Song of Achilles,” one of her other retellings of ancient Greek myth, often discussed on TikTok and YouTube. “Circe is a Greek mythology novel,” Britton said, “that takes us through the life of a nymph who is outcast by her family. After carrying on without them, and learning of her special powers, she goes on several adventures and meets all sorts of humans and creatures along the way.” Anyone interested in ancient history and coming-of-age tales, check this one out!

Students all over are picking up books as a new way of getting lost in other worlds. All of these books are available online, at local retailers and at many libraries.

Rena Weafer, Editor-in-Chief

Colin Tsuboi, Photographer