55°

Walking in Boston’s winter wonderland

Saichand Chowdary
People walk around Seaport District passing the Snowport Holiday Market. Photo by Saichand Chowdary/ Mass Media Staff.

Although the holidays have come and gone again, the winter season is only just beginning. As the days pass further into January, the City of Boston still offers many opportunities to make new memories with loved ones.

Ice skating is a classic wintertime activity for people of all ages, and the Boston Common Frog Pond is a popular spot to do just that. Skates can be rented out at $15 for adults and $10 for kids. Opening at 10 a.m. each day with differing closing times depending on the day, admission is $10 for those 58 inches and over while anybody under 58 inches tall is admitted for free. With the joyous and warm atmosphere, ice skating on the Frog Pond is a quintessential winter experience that anyone can enjoy.

For those looking to take advantage of the snowy landscapes winter may bring, neighboring towns like Weston and Canton provide the optimal facilities for skiing and snowboarding with areas dedicated to those sports.

A lighter activity that can also include younger family members, sledding is the perfect pastime to undertake this winter. The Walsh Playground in Dorchester has some of the steepest and deepest hills in the city, with plenty of room for sledding. For younger children or first-time sledders, the park also has gentler paths that are easier for sledding.

The ideal Boston itinerary would not be complete without taking a trip to see one of the numerous signature live shows in theaters and arenas across the city. From musical theater to classical concerts, Boston’s performing arts scene is truly one-of-a-kind and an absolute must-see.

January and February offer some special openings to see the touring Tony-winning musicals “Moulin Rouge! The Musical” and “Annie.”

Showing at the Citizens Bank Opera House from Jan. 16 through Feb. 4, “Moulin Rouge! The Musical” is a jukebox musical based on the 2001 film, “Moulin Rouge!” Featuring mash-ups of pop hits and an extravagant display of lights and costumes, this musical is a spectacle through-and-through.

Beginning Feb. 6 and going through Feb. 11, the touring cast of the beloved “Annie” will be shining on stage at the Boch Center Wang Theater. With a whimsical story of a young orphan girl and uplifting message, the classic rags-to-riches musical is certain to captivate its audience as it has done for the past 47 years.

In a remarkable experience for classical musical lovers, the Candlelight Concert series has a varied repertoire of songs with tributes to both classical musical composers and contemporary artists.

Hosted at historic Boston venues such as the Temple Ohabei Shalom, First Church in Cambridge and Simons Theatre, audiences are enveloped in the light of hundreds of candles while surrounded by history and music, creating a uniquely serene ambiance. With concerts scheduled all throughout January, February and even March, there are numerous opportunities to be a witness to one of these enchanting Candlelit evenings.

A small piece of the happiest place on Earth, Disney on Ice provides the experience of a lifetime with their magical ice shows. Featuring iconic characters from Disney films such as “Frozen,” “Encanto” and “Aladdin” to retell their stories on ice, families can flock to TD Garden beginning February for the upcoming “Magic in the Stars” show.

Boston is a city with many wonders during the winter, and while the cold weather may be intimidating, there is no limit to what can be enjoyed during these cold months.

Whether ice skating or listening to an orchestra play while illuminated in candlelight, take a chance to embark on a new adventure and have new experiences this winter season.