57°

Men’s lacrosse looks to celly and remains hopeful for smooth season

Men’s lacrosse huddles during a game against Lasell University during a previous season. Photo by Mary Jo Murphy from Beacons Athletics.

As the cold, dry winter comes to an end, UMass Boston Men’s Lacrosse is all set and ready to light a match of their own. After an extraordinary eight-game winning streak last season, the team looks forward to potentially breaking records. 

When asked about their expectations for this season, senior midfielder Charlie Chapman stated, “From last year, obviously this year we wanna win the Little East Conference title. I think this year we are just a different group of guys; we are working harder. The new group of guys just bring a lot of work and determination. Together, we can definitely achieve our goal.” 

This season, a lot of new freshmen were added on the field, and their unique set of skills and potential will translate positively in terms of goals. Sophomore midfielder Matt Laverty reflected, “Last year didn’t end exactly like we wanted. It wasn’t a bad year, but I guess we just expect a lot more out of ourselves. This year, we have a lot of guys coming back—a lot of experienced guys yearning to make a comeback—more focused on knowing what to do differently.” He further added, “Lacrosse is definitely going to make a comeback. Hopefully, the new batch of guys can fill some of the gaps that we lost last season.”  

Laverty has a lot of expectations from himself, not just as a responsible teammate, but also as an individual, setting goals that he aims to achieve as the season commences. The team is looking forward to the season. For them, this is not just a chance to win the LEC title, but a window to correct their mistakes on the field and show off their skills. Freshman long stick midfielder Ollie Bateman stated, “I plan to give my all on the field, as this is a chance to prove how good I am on the pitch, which will translate hopefully to more field time in my freshman year and more full matches from my sophomore year onwards. Lacrosse taught me discipline, how to be a team player, team spirit and sportsmanship.” Long stick midfielder is one of the most demanding positions on the field. It puts one’s speed, agility and all aspects of physical strength to the test. Bateman is prepared to shoulder his tasks and put on a show.

Sophomore defense Holden Kuzniar pitched in, “We have a lot more guys putting in the work than we did last season. We are a little bit lighter on the numbers this year, but I think we are going to pull through and have a great season. I think a lot of the freshmen bring more hard work, better attitude, and I think they wanna put more on the table and work harder than the freshmen last year.” Kuzniar is determined to turn the tables this year. The team has had a lot of time to collect, reflect and revitalize. They are ecstatic to take the field again and do what they do best.  

Junior long stick midfielder Sean Cullagh added onto Kuzniar’s thoughts, stating, “We came out a little bit flat last season. Coming in, we got a bunch of dogs. We have already improved a lot and are still putting in the work. I don’t think anyone else is putting in the amount of work that we are. All the freshmen that came over this season are just dogs; they are hungry for more playing time. They are out here doing everything they can on and off the field to ensure that we are going to have the best season we possibly can, so I am really excited.” Senior midfielder Matt Lucozzi bounced off Cullagh’s remarks, “We plan on bringing the LEC title home this season. We have put in the work, and hopefully it will all work out in the end, as long as we give our best on the field.” Graduate midfielder Luke Murphy is all set to bring his A-game, as he aims to make the most of the season. He aims at one last hurrah before he bids the team goodbye.  

The Beacons are ready to storm the field equipped with new and old skills, a winning outlook and a new-found confidence. Their spirit is going to prove deadly to their opponents, as the team aims to send them crawling back. Lacrosse is a very demanding sport, both physically and mentally, but these athletes carry it all on their shoulders, making it look effortless in doing so. This season is going to be one for the books, so time to gather around as the Beacons bring the heat with the commencement of the season, Saturday, Feb. 24.