59°

Women’s hockey trounced and bounced by howling Huskies

Dong Woo Im
Forward Katie Wilbert attempts a shot against Salem State University. Photo by Dong Woo Im / Mass Media Staff.

A 5–0 flat out obliteration was handed to UMass Boston, Saturday, Feb. 17, at home by Southern Maine. This eliminates the team from further contention in the New England Hockey Conference playoffs. Their season is over. 

“Games against [Southern Maine] have always been low-scoring,” said Senior forward Katie Wilbert before puck drop—and she was right. UMass Boston had given up just one goal to Southern Maine in their previous two matchups this year, according to Beacons Athletics. [1]

Frankly, it was a shock—a shockingly sorry performance from the Beacons. What started out as a high-energy, good start, turned drastic. 

UMass Boston had the momentum early, if you believe in that sort of thing. Wilbert and her linemate Liz Kramp skated circles around the Huskies, leading to an eventual interference call drawn by Wilbert. 

It was all downhill from there. 

Not 20 seconds into the Beacon power-play, they gave it right back with a sloppy hold by Jenna Majewski, her first of two penalties that night. Southern Maine’s leading scorer, Madison Chagnon, made them pay almost immediately, burying her own rebound. Less than a minute later, Amanda Crowley had an open lane and ripped one past Leah Bosch’s glove, bardown. 

UMass Boston’s Moe Bradley called timeout after going down 2–0 with 2:03 left in the first. She couldn’t calm her flustered Beacons, who never got back on track. 

In the second, there were surges of hope. The Beacons outshot the Huskies 15–9 in the period, but could never capitalize or control their lapses. Any surge was shut down by Southern Maine goaltender Haley McKim, who was terrific. 

McKim stopped all 33 shots she saw, including four straight power-play chances in the second. [1] In an exciting stretch, McKim held off a ripper from the point, the redirection with a lunging kick-save, and then two straight opportunities for Liz Kramp.

“Our biggest challenge with them has always been their goaltending,” said Wilbert. 

McKim wasn’t Southern Maine’s only standout; Madison Chagnon had a hell of a game to pair. She fired home her second goal of the game on the advantage of another lazy Beacon penalty—this time a Margeaux Butters trip—making it a three goal game. Chagnon was wide open in the slot almost right off the draw, another uncharacteristic break in the Beacons’ coverage.

Chagnon dominated the whole game. Stilting UMass Boston’s breakout on her own, taking it herself to establish the zone, and putting up a total of seven shots on goal. [1] That’s three more than any Beacon. 

Senior goaltender Victoria Kennedy replaced Beacons star Leah Bosch to begin the third. Bosch capped off her impressive campaign with 15 saves on 18 shots. [1] Kennedy finished her career with a seven save period, allowing two goals. 

It was a respectable decision by head coach Moe Bradley to put in her senior; a move that’s likely popular with her players. As the season has come to an end, it’s still just the beginning of Bradley’s era with the team. And her players seem to think the program is in good hands, despite this blowout loss.

“Moe stepped up,” said Wilbert. Wilbert feels Bradley has been a resource to her players by “making sure the person comes before the athlete.” A different coaching style, and perhaps a team that’s better off since former coach Danielle Blanchard left for Division I Merrimack. Wilbert believes Coach Bradley is building a system that works for them. “With previous coaches, I don’t think we felt as connected as we do to Moe.” 

This team’s comments on their coach are glowing, no matter who you ask. 

“Moe also works with us instead of against us,” added Wilbert. It feels Wilbert and her teammates are happier under new leadership. 

Despite the loss, it was an overall successful first season for Bradley, and what looks to be a successful coaching change for UMass Boston. 

[1] https://beaconsathletics.com/sidearmstats/whockey/media

Dong Woo Im, Photographer