57°

Spring into these seasonal activities in Boston

Saichand Chowdary
A person enjoys a walk through the Boston Common despite the rain. Photo by Saichand Chowdary/ Mass Media Staff.

Spring will officially begin on March 19. If Punxsutawney Phil has things right, that means the weather is about to start warming up. Assuming that the sun is finally about to grace us once more, there are plenty of fun activities to do out in the city of Boston; here’s some interesting outings to choose from. 

The Franklin Park Zoo is made for more than just pacing around. The venue is always holding interesting and special events, and there is always something new to be seen. The Zoo just finished its orchid showcase, but that doesn’t mean the fun is over. One event to look forward to is the Zoo’s Plant Sale, Potting and Orchid-gami event on Saturday, March 23. (1)

From 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Nature’s Neighborhoods Meeting Barn, there will be a wide selection of plants to choose from and purchase. Visitors can also pot their own orchid, create orchid baskets and fold origami. Zoo employees and horticulturists will be there to speak to visitors and answer questions. It’s the perfect spring activity for animal and flower lovers alike. 

UMass Boston students can purchase discounted tickets to the Franklin Park Zoo through the Office of Student Activities and Leadership. The office is located on the third floor of Campus Center, Room 3400, and tickets to the Zoo can be purchased for $10 a student. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum, it doesn’t have to be October to embrace the spooky vibes. For enjoyers of the macabre, there’s always the Ghosts and Gravestones Tour that’s available on most nights in the North End. It’s meant to be a witches’ brew of education and spooky fun, and it’s all set in one of America’s most historic cities. 

The tour takes visitors around some notorious haunted spaces in Boston, and it also provides access to centuries-old burial grounds. Some of the most notorious locations are the Omni Parker House, which is Boston’s most haunted hotel, and the King’s Chapel Burying Ground. Visitors can walk along this burial site and peek into a charnel house that contains piles of old bones. 

The tour is heaps of spooky fun for those missing the Halloween season. Tickets can be purchased online, available for a variety of prices, dates and times. It lasts for 90 minutes and begins on Atlantic Avenue, near the New England Aquarium. 

Seaport is a Boston neighborhood that is constantly rife with shoppers, no matter the time of year. Now that its major winter market, Snowport, has come to an end, the area is eager to keep up with trends—and what better way to do that than with a pop-up village?

Seaport’s smattering of pop-up stores, known as The Current, is seasonal in nature. Every few months, the village welcomes a new group of vendors, all of which are trendy and unique. The ongoing season has a wide array of treats, beauty stores and clothing stores. There’s Baked by Melissa, which creates delicious bite-sized cupcakes, Serenity Beauty Spa, and many more for visitors to enjoy. 

The Institute of Contemporary Art is located right alongside the Seaport neighborhood, and it also has plenty of interesting things to see. The ICA seeks to highlight the works of modern artists and create avant-garde displays that get people thinking, and they sure have succeeded. It holds a very fun and unique collection, with a little something for everyone. 

One noteworthy exhibit is Wu Tsang’s “Of Whales.” The exhibit was created with extended-reality gaming technology, and it takes the perspective of a sperm whale swimming through the ocean. Viewers can wander the vast ocean and listen to an emotional musical score that immerses them in the entire marine experience. It’s a treat to behold. 

The ICA offers free tickets to guests on Thursday nights from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., but reservations are still required. They can be made on the institute’s website. 

This is only a few out of thousands of experiences available to those in Boston. Now that spring is right around the corner, UMass Boston students should have the opportunity to enjoy themselves, so go check out one of these events!

1. https://www.zoonewengland.org/engage/orchid-adventure/