68°

Track and field maintain pace as top placeholders in LEC

Grace Colon leads in a recent race for women’s track. Photo courtsey of Beacons Athletics.

UMass Boston’s Track and Field program has kept their run of consistency going, this time making strides in the Tufts Snowflake invitational Saturday, March 30. It was personal records galore for both of the Beacons’ teams, and their dominant showcase didn’t leave them without a win under their belt, either. 

Aryianna Garceau was the top story of the day for UMass Boston, taking the 100 meter hurdles for women’s track and field. According to Harrier Race, she recorded a 14.67s finish in the event, one-third of a second faster than Tufts’ Sarah Pillone, who was playing on her home turf and crossed the finish line in 15 seconds flat [1]. Garceau also nabbed sixth place in the 200m dash, a remarkable feat given she went up against three NCAA Division I opponents who go to Boston College, all of whom finished in the top three for the race [2].

In the 400m run, Harleen Bassan made her presence known with a 15th place finish. Harrier Race showed that her time of 1:08.30s was less than seven seconds shy of first place in a race among 26 competitors [3]. 

Moving into long distance, women’s track shined once again with the help of Grace Colon and Sarah Campbell. They both competed in the 10,000m run and placed in the top seven, and according to Beacons Athletics, contributed to the Beacons’ theme of personal bests [4]. Colon crossed in fifth place after logging 40:46.85, and Campbell came away with a seventh-place finish at 45:53.19, per Harrier Race [5]. 

On the field, more personal bests were seen, as well as seasonal bests for the team. Kelsey Duong competed in the discus throw, reaching 21.42m—a new season high for the Beacons. Duong also led the way in javelin with a 12th place finish for UMass Boston on account of a 28.81m rocket of a throw. Mackenzie Jorgensen also made 16th place in the pole vault, clearing 2.50m and recording a personal record in the process [3].

Closing out the day for women’s track were Dorinda Okorji and Hialeah Foster, and they did so in style. Participating in both the high jump and long jump, Okorji placed sixth in the former and found silver with a second-place finish in the latter—just .01m shy of first place, per Harrier Race [6]. Foster found bronze in the former and was .12m shy of first place with a mark of 1.57m [7]. Foster’s performance in the long jump also notched her a seventh-place rank.

Women’s track and field showed out, and men’s track and field followed suit with some impressive feats of their own. To get things started for the Beacons, Justin Riley took 12th place in the 110m hurdles at 17.75s [8].

Five Beacons ran the 200m dash, four of whom recorded personal bests, according to Beacons Athletics. Derrick Touba led the way for the Beacons with a 14th place, 23.14s finish, while the group of Hugo Dos Santos, Cekoi Smith, Elmani Debarros and Samuel Davis all made improvements with their new PR’s [9]. 

Melvin Wiltshire participated in the 400m, crossing in under a minute at 56.59s, while Cody Whitthun got things going in the long-distance running, clocking in at 4:17.17 in the 1500m. Robert Cannon received eighth place in the 10,000m run, crossing in 34:30.63, per Harrier Race [10]. 

On the field, Arthur Grant took 26th in discus [8] and 25th in shot put with heaves of 25.36m and 9.08m. Olutemi Alofe was the top Beacons’ thrower in shot put with a 10.53m and 19th place mark. In javelin, Brady Poirier threw 37.81m for 19th place, and to round out the day for men’s track, Prabhdeep Bassan recorded a 4.57m leap in the long jump, good for 24th place [11]. 

Both track and field teams put on sensational performances at Tufts. With Garceau, Okorji and Foster leading the way for women’s track, as well as Cannon and Touba for the men’s team, both programs are in good hands and have the chance to turn this season into something special at the Little East Conference Championships April 27. 

1. https://live.harrierrace.com/meets/32678/events/individual/1176408
  2. Women 200 Meter – Tufts Snowflake Classic – Mar 30, 2024 | Harrier Race Management
  3. Women 400 Meter – Tufts Snowflake Classic – Mar 30, 2024 | Harrier Race Management
  4. Garceau Wins 100m Hurdles at Tufts Snowflake Classic – UMass Boston (beaconsathletics.com)
  5. Women 10000 Meter – Tufts Snowflake Classic – Mar 30, 2024 | Harrier Race Management
  6. Women Long Jump – Tufts Snowflake Classic – Mar 30, 2024 | Harrier Race Management
  7. Women High Jump – Tufts Snowflake Classic – Mar 30, 2024 | Harrier Race Management
  8. Men 110 Meter Hurdles – Prelims – Tufts Snowflake Classic – Mar 30, 2024 | Harrier Race Management
  9. Touba Among Top 15 in 200m From Tufts’ Snowflake Classic – UMass Boston (beaconsathletics.com)
  10. Men 10000 Meter – Tufts Snowflake Classic – Mar 30, 2024 | Harrier Race Management
  11. Men Long Jump – Tufts Snowflake Classic – Mar 30, 2024 | Harrier Race Management

Nick Collins, Sports Editor