SAEC Movie Nights

Amy Julian

Looking for something to do after class one night? Or maybe you are broke after a killer spring break. Or maybe you just don’t see the necessity in paying over $10 bucks a pop to go to the local theater. Whatever the case, it’s still not too late to catch the Student Arts and Events Council’s Movie Nights right here on campus! There are still at least three more movies slated to be shown in the Campus Center ballroom, all quite different, and all a welcome break from the mayhem of midterms. All movies play two nights of the week, and are completely free with your student ID. So grab a friend, grab a snack and grab a seat at the SAEC’s Movie Nights.

Wed. March 26 & Thurs. March 275:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.The Kite Runner

Based on the hugely best-selling novel by Afghan-American author Khaled Hosseini, the movie is a remarkable adaptation of the book. After living in America for several years, an Afghani man returns to his native Afghanistan to find a child. He feels that by finding a child and helping a young, innocent soul, he will be forgiven for the many terrible and shameful choices he made as a young child himself. Upon arrival, he is greeted by a much different Afghanistan he once knew: the Taliban now rule the country strictly. He begins his journey not just to find a child, but to save him from the destruction and violence of his homeland.

Tues. April 8 & Wed. April 95:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.P.S. I Love You

A touching romantic dramedy, Hilary Swank stars as Holly, a once outgoing and self-assured woman, who becomes depressed and isolated after the death of her husband from a brain tumor. On her thirtieth birthday, Holly receives a birthday cake and tape recorded message from her husband (from beyond the grave?) and soon receives letters urging her to do silly tasks to help get on with her life and find happiness. Through his “plan” for Holly, she is able to get on with her life with the help of her deceased husband and find out who she really is.

Wed. April 30 & Thurs. May 15:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.Untraceable

This crime thriller is a fast-paced situational drama with lots of action and a story line that will have you on the edge of your seat. In an extension of the concept from fear.net, Untraceable follows an FBI agent on her quest to find a serial killer who has set up a website that broadcasts his murders live. Gross, right? The more people who log onto the site, the faster and more gruesomely the victim will die. It’s an intense movie that will have terrified and thinking twice before you log onto the Internet.

Keep your eye out for more updates on movies here at UMB, as the SAEC is always putting on great events and giving students a way to tune out for a few hours and have some fun.