Student Life Reminds You …

Natalia Cooper

Student Life Reminds You …

Joyce Morgan, director of Student Life, issued a memo to all clubs and organizations regarding the university’s posting policy for flyers. The approved areas for posting include public bulletin boards in all campus buildings, bulletin boards in Wheatley hall classrooms, and the catwalk between McCormack Hall and the Science Building. Morgan asks student organizations to “Please hang your postings only in approved areas, and remember to have them approved prior to hanging.” The posting policy is available in the Policies and Procedures Manual produced by the Office of Student Life.

Every Woman’s Self Defense

The UMB Women’s Center along with the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, Survivors Inc. Club, the Student Activity Trust Fund, and the Campus and Community Affairs Committee are presenting a free self defense workshop for women. The workshop will be offered on two different days, Tuesday, December 3 from 6pm to 9pm and Wednesday, December 4 from 11am-2pm on the lower level of the Clark Athletic Center. Sign up on the list located on the Women’s Center door (W-4-141) or email [email protected]. On the day of the event, people will be admitted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please wear loose clothing and sneakers. You will receive a free Self-Defense Book and a bottle of water at instruction. Sign up soon, space is limited.

Ramadan Celebration

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) at UMass Boston invites you to join them in celebrating Ramadan. They have invited Muslim leaders from the Boston area to speak to the UMass Boston community about Islam and Muslims. The speakers for this event are Dr. Mohammed Lazzouni, the director of the Alhamra Academy, Milla Islam from the Harvard Divinity School, and Imam Abdullah Farooque from Masjid Alhaduliah in Roxbury. After the panel, join the MSA for a traditional breaking of the fast and dinner with middle-eastern food. The event will take place on Monday, November 25 in the Healey Library on the eleventh floor from 2:30-6pm. The event is free and open to the public.

CPCS Brown Bag Lunch

On Tuesday, December 3 from 2pm to 3:30pm, in the Sociology Conference Room (W-4-23) Carol Liebman will be presenting a talk about “Mediator Ethics in the Hospital Setting.” Liebman is director of the mediation laboratory at Columbia University Law School and is also an internationally known private mediator. She has recently done work concerning the ethical problems of mediating in disputes arising in hospitals.